The Saint Louis University School of Education is proud to honor outstanding students and alumni for their contributions to the field of education.
Alumni Merit Award
Each year, Saint Louis University recognizes outstanding graduates of each school
or college through the Alumni Merit Awards. The award is bestowed on alumni for notable
achievements in their profession, community involvement, and dedication to a life
that embodies the Saint Louis University mission.
Read More About the 2020 Alumni Merit Award Recipient
- 2015: Tiffany C. Anderson, Ed.D. (A&S '94, Grad Ed '01)
- 2016: Mary A. Bruemmer, (A&S '42, Grad Ed '60)
- 2017: Margaret M. Vandeven, Ph.D. (Grad Ed '14)
- 2018: Rev. Robert Flannery (Grad Ed '79)
- 2019: Don W. Cook, Sr., Ed.D. (Grad Ed '97)
- 2020: Alice F. Roach, Ed.D. (Grad Ed '06)
- 2023: H. Eric Clark, Ed.D. (Grad A&S '99, Grad Ed '14)
Each year, the School of Education recognizes outstanding undergraduate and graduate students through its student awards.
James F. Gilsinan, Ph.D. College of Education and Public Service Distinguished Undergraduate Student Award
The James F. Gilsinan Award is given to a graduating senior in the School of Education whose actions exemplify the ideals set forth in the mission of the College: educating, guiding, and transforming individuals and communities through teaching, research or community engagement. This award was established to honor Dr. James F. Gilsinan, the first dean of the College of Public Service from 1998 to 2006.
- 2020: Kacie Frost and Hannah Mueller
- 2021: Ella Dotson and Elise Palmquist
- 2022: Sumaya Naji
- 2023: Alaina Kazmierczak
J.J. O'Brien Award for Outstanding Graduate Student
Dr. John J. “J.J.” O’Brien taught for 46 years at Saint Louis University. He was a professor of education and American studies when he retired in 1993. After his retirement, he served as an adjunct instructor of education and director of the Graduate School’s teaching resource room. In 1967, he received the University’s Nancy McNeir Ring Award for outstanding teaching. In 1992, the University’s alumni center was named in his honor. He contributed many articles on education to magazines and professional journals.
- 2020: Sarah Wendel and Letrice Young
- 2021: Sherdia Benguche and Regina Galassi
- 2022: Stephanie Hendel and Wendy Owens
- 2023: Carolyn O'Laughlin and Jessica Watts
Carl A. Hangartner Award
The Carl A. Hangartner Award is given in memory of Carl A. Hangartner, S.J. whose career as a Saint Louis University Professor of Education was a tribute to the highest standards of scholarship and integrity. He is remembered for his wisdom and generosity as a teacher and friend. His presence and leadership in teacher education immeasurably enriched the lives of the people he touched. This undergraduate student award is based on scholarship, leadership and service, and is presented annually to graduating students who best exemplify the ideas for which he stood.
- 2020: Kaylea Chappelle
- 2021: Colleen Hannegan and Gwen Cataldo
- 2022: Tory Christian
- 2023: Hannah R. Rose