Commencement Events - 2022
The Annual Awards Ceremony
Thursday, May 12, at 5 p.m.
Padre Arrupe Hall Patio
The Baccalaureate Mass
Friday, May 13, at 10:30 a.m.
Real Monasterio de Santa Isabel (Calle Santa Isabel, 48)
Class of 2022 Commencement Ceremony
Friday, May 13 at 12 p.m.
Museo Reina Sofia, Auditorio 400 - Edificio Nouvel
Congratulations on nearing the end of your undergraduate career!
SLU-Madrid will celebrate the 2022 Awards Ceremony, Baccalaureate Mass and Spring Commencement events in May. All graduates are invited to participate in the special events we are planning! We are thrilled to honor your achievements!
Graduates must have completed their "application for degree" at the beginning of the semester they plan to graduate.
As you prepare to graduate from Saint Louis University, complete the following steps to make sure that you have everything in place to receive your degree on time. One year before you plan to graduate, double check that you have completed all graduation requirements:
- Make sure that you have declared your major and minor and that they appear correctly on your transcript in Banner Self Service.
- Fill out checklists for your major and minor.
- Make sure that you will have completed all core requirements.
- Make sure that you will have completed 120 credits. Remember that it's possible to fulfill all major, minor and core requirements and still not have 120 credits.
- Make sure that you do not need additional electives.
- Check your grade point average. Your GPA must be above 2.0 in the major and the minor to be eligible for graduation.
- Meet with your academic advisor to review everything.
- Fill out the Application for Graduation. The term refers to your last term of study, when your degree will be awarded, which may be different from the actual graduation ceremony (commencement) date.
A graduation fee will be charged to all students on the semester that they apply and are approved for graduation. The amount of the fee can be found on the tuition and fees page.
Students should discuss their specific degree requirements with their advisers throughout their academic careers. While an advisor is there to help you in planning and confirming your progress toward graduation, ultimately it's your responsibility to be aware of the requirements for graduation and the number of hours you have to complete toward graduation.
Changes in undergraduate degree requirements must be approved by the last day of the spring semester in order to take effect in the following academic year. Such changes must be communicated immediately to the university registrar. Deans, by exception, may allow you to take advantage of new degree requirements immediately if the exception will allow you to complete degree requirements.
The general requirements for earning a baccalaureate degree from Saint Louis University are as follows:
- The satisfactory fulfillment of the lower- and upper-division course requirements within each area.
- The completion of no less than 120 semester hours of credit (excluding lower-division military science and physical-education courses) with an overall grade point average of 2.0. Grade point averages are figured on the basis of hours attempted (not merely hours passed) and grade points earned.
- At least 30 of the last 36 semester hours of your degree program must be taken at the Madrid or St. Louis campuses of Saint Louis University. Individual schools or colleges may have policies that vary from this norm.
- A degree candidate must submit an online application for graduation before the end of the second week of the semester or session in which graduation is intended. Students must be in good academic standing to file the application.
- Because of the progress being made in various fields of learning, collegiate credits earned more than 10 calendar years prior to graduation will be reevaluated. If circumstances warrant, you may be required to take further work or repeat certain courses before a degree is conferred.
- Seniors who have a grade of Incomplete in any course needed for graduation should clear the record and have the change of grade submitted on appropriate forms to the academic dean's office by April 1 for May graduation, July 1 for August graduation and by Dec. 1 for January graduation.
- All course requirements for a degree must be completed or be in progress before or during the semester for degree conferral. The University will award a degree if all required course work is completed and needed documentation received, within 40 calendar days of the University conferral date. Beyond 40 calendar days, awarding of the diploma will be deferred to the next university conferral date. See individual schools/colleges for additional graduation requirements.
- Students who participate in an internship must complete it prior to the official conferral of their degrees. Once the degree has been awarded, the University will not be able to sign an internship agreement.
Determination of honors and cumulative grade point averages will be made at the time of graduation. For the purpose of computing honors and cumulative University, departmental or college grade point averages, any grade of "I" will be calculated as an "F." Honors will not be recomputed if the "I" is subsequently changed to another grade. Any grade of "I" remaining on your record at the time of graduation must be resolved within 30 calendar days of the commencement date, at which time the "I" will automatically be converted to an "F."
Averages for graduation honors are computed only on the basis of course work taken in the schools or colleges of Saint Louis University. Students receiving a first baccalaureate degree must have completed 54 earned semester hours in residence at Saint Louis University in order to be eligible to graduate with honors. A student with a baccalaureate degree from another institution may be awarded a second baccalaureate degree with academic honors if at least 48 credit hours are earned at Saint Louis University and the minimum grade point average (based on Saint Louis University course work only) is satisfied.
Graduation honors are awarded as follows:
- Cum laude for a grade point average of 3.5 to 3.699
- Magna cum laude for a grade point average of 3.7 to 3.899
- Summa cum laude for a grade point average of 3.9 to 4.0