Saint Louis University's travel program and its related policies exist for the greater benefit of all SLU travelers and the University in partnership. It applies to all faculty, staff, residents and graduate students.
The program provides numerous benefits to our travelers while ensuring we remain good stewards of the University's assets. Participation by all University users ensures the success of the program for all.
Concur Travel and Expense provide the University's online booking and employee reimbursement tools, and TravelPlex travel agency is our dedicated travel management company.
Call the TravelPlex office directly at 314-569-1900 when booking group travel (ten or more reservations) or 314-569-1900 for international travel for the possibility of additional or cheaper airfares and more travel options. If a TravelPlex agent books a new reservation for you, you will be assessed a premium fee.
Travel on behalf of the University and travel reimbursement follows the University's Travel and Entertainment Policy and related procedures.
Steps to Take When Traveling
- Consult your department travel approver regarding your trip, if applicable. Obtain a trip number in Trip Menu, which can be accessed through the employee tab in Banner Self-Service.
- Book your travel reservations in Concur. Concur can be accessed through the mySLU "Tools" tab.
- Submit a Concur expense report for any expenses incurred before the trip.
- Submit a Concur expense report to account for any remaining expenses, once your trip has concluded.
The trip number is a mandatory seven-digit alpha-numeric code assigned by Banner (AXXXXXX). It is used to record and reconcile travel expenses and must be assigned prior to booking or reserving travel in Concur or through the TravelPlex office.
Trip numbers can be accessed through the Trip Menu under the Tools tab. If you forget your trip number, you can find it under the "Review My Trips" menu under the Tools tab in Banner.
Yes. If you are attending a conference with a block discounted hotel rate offered, however, the conference hotel can be booked outside of Concur at the discounted conference rate or any hotel up to the lowest published conference hotel rate.
Specific air, car and hotel rates are pre-programmed in Concur and will automatically present themselves when applicable to your travel plans.
There are many excellent reasons why it makes sense for you to book through Concur, here are a few:
- 24-hour customer service for our travelers through our travel management company, TravelPlex.
- Door-to-door business travel accident insurance provided by American Express.
- Baggage insurance coverage provided by American Express.
- Trackability for the safety of our travelers. Booking through Concur can allow for duty of care assistance when needed.
- Ticket exchange options when travel plans change or are canceled.
- University accrual of airfare points that are allocated, by departmental use, back to the departments for their travelers to get free airfare tickets.
- No hidden fees that travelers may be unaware of on outside booking sites.
No. Concur is for reimbursable business travel expenses only.
Yes. Travel policy and procedures apply regardless of the source of funds supporting the travel and business expenses.
Reservations cannot be ticketed without the required pre-approval. Special consideration should be taken when booking travel on weekends, holidays or after normal business hours when your approver may not be available to approve your request. Communicate with your unit's travel class approver to confirm in advance.
All airfare is automatically pre-paid for you on the University's Business Travel Account (BTA). The BTA is built into your Concur profile as the appropriate payment method for airfare.
No, generally pre-payments are not allowed. Students may be eligible for pre-payments. Medical Center Finance and Financial Commitment determines when pre-payment can be made.
Per diem rates can be found on the United States Department of Defense webpage and is also on the hotel-booking page in Concur.
The maximum SLU hotel per diem amount is equal to the actual U.S. government lodging per diem rate for the locality, plus an additional 20 percent. The information is automatically populated for you in Concur.
No. Amounts less than $50 do not require a receipt to be submitted for reimbursement.
An itemized bill, personal credit card receipt, cash register receipt or an American Express statement.
Long-term parking at St. Louis Lambert Airport will be reimbursed with no limit on daily parking reimbursement. SKYPARK is the University's preferred airport parking vendor.
SKYPARK Airport Parking
4500 Crestshire Lane
St. Ann, MO 63074