Wilmott Named to Lead School of Medicine, SLUCare
Saint Louis University President Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D., has appointed Robert Wilmott, M.D., as Vice President for Medical Affairs and Dean of the University School of Medicine, effective August 14. His term will run until Dec. 31, 2021.
Wilmott had been serving as Acting Dean and Vice President for Medical Affairs since January.
“During the last seven months, Dr. Wilmott has worked collaboratively with stakeholders inside and outside of the University, and especially with our healthcare partner, SSM. He also has put in place operational changes that I believe will put SLUCare on sound financial footing in the years ahead,” said Pestello.
Dr. Wilmott was the unanimous choice of the search committee tasked with reviewing internal candidates for the position. As a part of his review, Dr. Wilmott prepared three-year strategic plans for both the School of Medicine and SLUCare, which both report to him.
“This is a wonderful opportunity to make a significant contribution to the future of the medical school and SLUCare. I am very optimistic about our future,” said Wilmott.
Wilmott has served in leadership positions at SLU since 2001, including 17 years as Chair of the Department of Pediatrics. He has received numerous awards and has been named a St. Louis “Best Doc” by St. Louis Magazine every year since 2002.
“I wish to thank the members of the search committee for their time and commitment to this search. I especially want to recognize Committee Chair William Kauffman, J.D., SLU’s Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of the University,” said Pestello.
The other members of the committee and their positions at the time were:
- Enrico Di Cera, M.D., Alice A. Doisy Professor and Chair of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Interim Vice Dean for Research for the School of Medicine, and Deputy Vice President for Research
- Aaron Dotson, Third Year Medical Student
- Matthew Hanley, M.D., Chief Clinical Officer, SSM Health
- T. Scott Isbell, Ph.D., DABCC, FAACC, Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Director of Clinical Chemistry, and Director of Point Care Testing; President, School of Medicine Faculty Assembly
- Marilyn Maxwell, M.D., Professor, Department of Internal Medicine
- George Paz, Trustee
- Howard Place, M.D., Professor and Acting Chair, Orthopedic Surgery Spinal Deformity and Reconstructive Spine Surgery
- Theresa Schwartz, M.D., Associate Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Surgery and Associate Director of the General Surgery Residency Program
- Sameer Siddiqui, M.D., Associate Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Surgery
- David Suwalsky, S.J., Director of Academic Initiatives, Mission and Identity
- Gary Whitworth, Associate Dean of Finance, School of Medicine
- Mardell Wilson, Ed.D., RD, LDN, Dean of Doisy College of Health Sciences
In his position, Dr. Wilmott also will serve on the President’s Cabinet and the University Leadership Council.
Established in 1836, Saint Louis University School of Medicine has the distinction of awarding the first medical degree west of the Mississippi River. The school educates physicians and biomedical scientists, conducts medical research, and provides health care on a local, national and international level. Research at the school seeks new cures and treatments in five key areas: infectious disease, liver disease, cancer, heart/lung disease, and aging and brain disorders.