SLU PPE Drive Nets 1,000 Items to Protect Front Line Health Care Workers
A donation drive for supplies to help frontline health care workers protect themselves and others as they care for patients battling the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) drew more than 1,000 donations from the Saint Louis University community through July 13.
About 900 of the donated items are homemade masks, created by people from around the St. Louis area.
The drive, organized by the University, SSM Health, and Society of St. Vincent de Paul and BJC Health Care, kicked off in April. Another drive may be initiated at a later date in the fall semester.
The items donated at the SLU drop-off site in front of the University’s West Pavilion Building at 3655 Vista Ave. have gone on to SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital to help protect its physicians, nursing staff and other health care and essential workers.
“The response has been incredible, particularly in a challenging time like we’re experiencing now,” Bobby Wassel, Ph.D., assistant director of SLU's Center for Service and Community Engagement, said. “These donations, including handmade masks, demonstrate that even while we are dispersed, the SLU community remains committed to our call to be men and women for others.”
SSM Health and BJC Health Care partnered for the drive as a way to receive and distribute donations of various medical supplies throughout St. Louis after receiving hundreds of calls and offers of support. SLU, and its longtime partner the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, supported the drive by providing the bin and campus donation site.
The SLU campus donation site will be active through Saturday, Aug. 1.
What Donors Need to Know
- Items in high demand include FDA-approved surgical masks or N95masks and thermometers – infrared and forehead with disposable covers.
- Additional locations and needs are being updated on the site daily, so please reference the website prior to traveling to a donation site.
- If you plan to donate, please remember to use social distancing precautions at the point of drop-off.
- Those instructions are given by the donation location before and when deliveries are made.
- For questions pertaining to SLU-specific donations, community members can call -314-577-8001.
- Most large donations should go to the locations listed here.
Saint Louis University is a Catholic, Jesuit institution that values academic excellence, life-changing research, compassionate health care, and a strong commitment to faith and service. Founded in 1818, the University fosters the intellectual and character development of more than 13,000 students on campuses in St. Louis and Madrid, Spain. Building on a legacy of now more than 200 years, Saint Louis University continues to move forward with an unwavering commitment to a higher purpose, a greater good.
Story by Amelia Flood , University Marketing and Communications