SLU Researchers Recognized at Scholarly Works and Grant Winners Reception
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) hosted the annual Scholarly Works and Grant Winners reception Wednesday, May 18, in the Sinquefield Room.
SLU faculty and research administrators were recognized for their outstanding research contributions, including published research, grants and research leadership.
Winners were recognized for works and grants from 2020 and 2021. Nominations for the honors were solicited from college deans and associate deans for research.
In opening remarks, President Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D. focused on SLU's mission: The pursuit of truth to the greater glory of God for the service of humanity.
"The pursuit of truth. And that’s what we’re celebrating here today, research and scholarship at Saint Louis University.”
Pestello told researchers in the audience, “You have risen to the call. What is impressive is not simply the volume of research that's being done but the mission-centered areas you are exploring which will help humankind move forward.”
Provost Michael Lewis, Ph.D., applauded the remarkable accomplishments which were achieved even in the midst of a public health crisis.
“We are really celebrating so much research success in the face of two years of a pandemic,” Lewis said. “This is an incredible amount of productivity and incredible amount of accomplishment that the community has achieved.”
“It's really something to behold.”
Scholarly Works Awards
Scholarly Works Published in a Journal
- Cara Wallace, Ph.D., (School of Social Work), for her article published in the Journal
of Pain and Symptom Management.
- Honorable Mention: Ana Santos Rutschman
- Daniela Salvemini, Ph.D., (Department of Pharmacological and Physiological Science),
for her article published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.
- Honorable Mention: Zhenguo Lin
Scholarly Works Published as Books
- Jack Renard, Ph.D., (Theological Studies), for his book, Crossing Confessional Boundaries: Exemplary Lives in Jewish, Christian, and Islamic Traditions, published by the University of California Press.
- Joya Uraizee, Ph.D., (English), for her book, Writing that Breaks Stones: African Child Soldier Narratives, published by the Michigan State University Press.
Non-book/journal Scholarly Works
- Ted Mathys, (English), for his book of poetry, Gold Cure, published by the Coffee
- Honorable Mention: Tarrell Campbell
- Honorable Mention: Ilene Berman
- Ruqaiijah Yearby, J.D., (School of Law), for Protecting Workers that Provide Essential
Services, in the comprehensive report, Assessing Legal Responses to COVID-19, published
by Public Health Law Watch.
- Honorable Mention: Laura Tedesco
- Honorable Mention: Nancy Bell
- Honorable Mention: Scott Berman & Chad Flanders
Grant Winner Awards
Senior Faculty Grant Winner Award
- Guangyong Peng, M.D., Ph.D., Internal Medicine-Infectious Diseases
Faculty Innovation Award
- Stephanie Tennill, Fine and Performing Arts
- Matt Renaud and Lisa Wagner, Grant Operations Center
Research Leadership Award
- The Center for Vaccine Development
- Getahun Abate, M.D., Ph.D.
- Azra Blazevic, D.V.M.
- Tamara Blevins
- Kathleen Chirco
- Chase Colbert
- Riley Coyle
- June D’Angelo
- Shirley Dettlebach
- Sabrina DiPiazza
- Stanley Doublin
- Heather Douds
- Carol Duane, Ph.D.
- Mark Dykewicz, M.D.
- Eric Eggemeyer
- Linda Eggemeyer-Sharpe
- Chris Eickhoff
- Lauren Foreman
- Sharon Frey, M.D.
- Sarah George, M.D.
- Geoffrey Gorse, M.D.
- Irene Graham, M.D.
- Tammy Grant
- Alexis Guenette, D.O.
- Michelle Harris, Pharm D.
- Helay Hassas, Pharm D.
- Dan Hoft, M.D., Ph.D.
- Rong Hou, M.D., Ph.D.
- Sharon Irby-Moore
- Zafar Jamkhana, M.D.
- Ryan Kerr
- Kate Liefer
- Jianguo Liu, Ph.D.
- Missy Loyet
- Aleshia McCoy
- Lainey Mejia-Jauregui
- Keith Meyer
- Krystal Meza
- Tracy Montauk
- Karla Mosby
- Amanda Nethington
- Samson Niemotka
- Huan Ning, M.D.
- Setu Patolia, M.D.
- Tapas Patra
- Nicole Purcell
- Octavio Ramos
- Ranjit Ray, Ph.D.
- Joan Siegner
- David Skinker
- Janice Tennant
- Tim Wiemken, Ph.D.
- Kiana Wilder
- Mei Xia, M.D., Ph.D.
- Yinyi Yu
- Cassie Zehenny