University to Open Academic Year at Fall Convocation
Saint Louis University will welcome the Class of 2023 and their families at Fall Convocation at 9 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 23. Convocation is the traditional ceremony that marks the beginning of the new academic year. This year, for the first time, Convocation will be live-streamed on SLU's Website and through Facebook.
This year’s Convocation will take place at Chaifetz Arena and will feature student, faculty and staff speakers, as well as an inspirational message from University President Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.
Convocation Key Details
- Interim University Provost Chester “Chet” Gillis, Ph.D., will serve as mace bearer.
- University leaders including academic deans, the president of the Student Government Association (SGA), the President’s Leadership Council and Pestello will lead a procession that includes University faculty.
- Longtime SLU faculty member and former chair of the Department of Philosophy, Theodore “Ted” Vitali, CP, Ph.D., will deliver the invocation.
- Senior Maleah Fallahi, president of the SGA, will give the event’s student speech.
- Kira Hudson Banks, Ph.D., of the Department of Psychology, will deliver Convocation’s faculty address.
- Ten staff, faculty members and students will speak about how they serve the higher purpose of SLU’s Jesuit mission.
- Pestello will welcome new students and their families with a special address.
- Christopher Collins, S.J., assistant to the president for mission and identity, will close Convocation with a missioning statement as students begin their lives at SLU.
Following Convocation, students and their families can take part in receptions and orientations hosted by individual schools and colleges, before continuing with Fall Welcome.