SLU Community Celebrates Pride Month
The SLU community will celebrate this year’s Pride Month with open mic nights, movie screenings, service and community building. The month’s events are hosted by the Rainbow Alliance.
The month’s celebrations kicked off on Tuesday, Oct. 1, with the opening of the campus's Queer Closet. The month's next event was held Wednesday, Oct. 2. “Share Your Story,” is a Rainbow Alliance tradition to start Pride Month.
Additional events are planned throughout the month.
Pride Month 2019 Events
- Tuesday, Oct. 8, 5:30pm, LGBTQIA+ Student Health. Hear from representative of the St. Louis Health Department on healthy relationships in Room 251A, Busch Student Center.
- Wednesday, Oct. 9, 6 p.m., “History of Pride.” There will be a general body meeting in Room 127, Busch Student Center on the history of Pride and Pride Month.
- Thursday, Oct 10, Rainbow Alliance will be tabling at Active Mind's PostSecretU event in the Wool Ballrooms, Busch Student Center, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The alliance's members will be there with markers for writing postcards as well as providing information and LGBTQIA+ mental health resources.
- Friday, Oct. 11, “Coming Out Day.” Rainbow Alliance will be tabling outside the Center for Global Citizenship all day in celebration of National Coming Out Day.
- Saturday, Oct. 12, 10 a.m., Day of Service. To celebrate Pride Month, SLU community members will help with the Trans Memorial Garden. Those wishing to serve should meet at 9 a.m. in the circle drive at Busch Student Center to carpool to the garden.
- Thursday, Oct. 17, 7 p.m., “Open Mic Night.” Rainbow Alliance will collaborate with KSLU to host an open mic night at the Billiken Grill in Busch Student Center.
- Thursday, Oct. 24, 1 p.m., Service Fair. The Rainbow Alliance will hold its first Service Fair in the Center for Global Citizenship.
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, 12:30 p.m., Women and Gender Studies Brown Bag. Rainbow Alliance is co-sponsoring a brown bag lunch talk with the Department of Women and Gender Studies in Room 144, McGannon Hall. Anne Balay, Ph.D., will present, “Queer Work, Oral History, and Civilian Access.”
- Saturday, Nov. 2, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Rainbow Alliance is working to get a group together to go to the Show Me Pride Summit at the University of Missouri-Columbia. The signup deadline is Friday, Oct. 25. Sign up here.