SLURide Launches New App
SLURide has implemented a new application to allow students, faculty and staff members to request a ride by using a newly available app, TapRide.
Rides can be requested via online request or by downloading the TapRide app and selecting “SLURide-Saint Louis University” from the list.
“This app will allow the rider to stay safely inside a building and know when the ride is there for them,” Laura Forhan, director of facilities services, explained. “ Students will have an ETA of the arrival time based on traffic and requests ahead of theirs.”
The system will eliminate the need for a dispatcher to assist with ride requests since it uses algorithms to automatically dispatch drivers to requested rides, she said.
The app went live Wednesday, April 29.
How to Use the App
- Download the TapRide app. There is a link online, in MySLU and on the SLU app.
- Sign-in with using your SLU user ID and password.
- Once logged in, you will be able to request a ride similar to using Uber.
- You will be asked for your phone number and will receive texts as your ride approaches as well as a “honk” when it arrives.
- You will also have the opportunity to rate a driver.
Rides request through the app will be available for normal SLURide locations. SLURide currently runs approximately two blocks off-campus and there are also pre-selected locations outside of the campus range that can be selected including hangar utilized by aviation students at Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology and Scott Hall and the School of Law downtown.
At present, a dispatcher is still available to help with the transition to all TapRide. Students will still call the Department of Public Safety (DPS) for safety escorts outside of SLURide hours.
For more information, visit SLURide.