2020 Fall Semester 'AskSLU' Toolkit Available
Technology will play a major role in connecting the SLU community this semester. To help Billikens stay connected, Information Technology Services (ITS) has developed the following resources to help support instructors with technology specific to teaching.
Faculty, graduate student instructors, and other teaching staff members can review the resources available and can contact the AskSLU team for help by calling 314-977-4099.
What's In the 'Tool Kit'
Blackboard Learn is SLU’s learning management system (LMS). It can be used for online courses, hybrid courses or to supplement face to face courses. It has tools for sharing content, communication, assessments, grading and outcomes. The Blackboard Learn system is highly flexible and customizable. Available tools include email, discussion boards, blogs, journals and more.
- SLU Academic Technology Commons (ATC) Blackboard Information and Support Site – This site contains the “Top 10 FAQs for Blackboard Learn,” an introductory video plus information on Blackboard Learn’s integration with Banner.
- Blackboard Support Site – Contains quick start guides, video tutorials and answers to common issues.
Panopto is SLU’s lecture capture tool. It is used for creating, editing, and distributing audio/video content. Full integration into Blackboard, advanced analytics, closed captioning and video editing are just a few of its features.
- SLU ATC Panopto Information and Support Site – This site contains information on SLU-specific Panopto tips and techniques regarding lecture capture.
- Panopto Support Site – Contains Panopto video tutorials and support documentation.
Zoom is an easy-to-use web conferencing platform that lets you create, join and host meetings. The meetings can also be recorded for later reference.
Here are several resources to help you with using Zoom:
- Zoom Quick Start Guide – Information on how to login to Zoom, schedule a meeting and invite participants.
- Ten Simple Steps to Securing Zoom and Best Practices for Securing Your Virtual Classroom – Tips on how to keep your Zoom classrooms secure.
- SLU ATC Zoom Technology Guidance for Hybrid Courses – This site provides tips and tricks for using technology for teaching online students.
- Zoom Resources for Education – Resources from Zoom for educators regarding online education.
Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor for Blackboard Learn are designed to enable a secure test taking environment in Blackboard. Students download the browser on Mac or PC and use it to log into Blackboard to take LockDown Browser enabled exams.
The Respondus Monitor is an artificial intelligence based remote proctoring tool that leverages the LockDown Browser, the student’s webcam and video analytics to monitor a student while taking the online exam and alert the instructor to possible issues.
- SLU ATC Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor Faculty Information – An overview of the Respondus secure testing environment for SLU faculty.
- Respondus LockDown Browser Resources and Respondus Monitor Resources – Resources for training webinars and getting started videos.
Classroom and Online Technologies Support
Over the summer, the ITS team has been working hard to ensure the technology in every classroom is ready to go for the start of the fall semester. ITS team members have visited every classroom on campus to check, test, update and repair where needed all instructor computers and AV technology.
Even with this proactive work, issues may still arise. For urgent classroom technical support, call 314-977-4099. You can also use the phone icon on the Crestron AV control panel in the classrooms to directly dial our classroom support team.
In addition to its normal classroom phone support, ITS technical support team members will be working from many of the classroom buildings during the first two weeks of classes to help ensure that any technical issues in classrooms can be quickly addressed. Team members will be wearing “AskSLU” shirts and will be easily recognizable and ready to help.
Submitted by Tim Murphy.