College Church Outreach Program Seeks Volunteers
St. Francis Xavier College Church’s Outreach Program is seeking volunteers to help low-resource St. Louisans this summer.
The program provides assistance with obtaining Missouri State IDs and birth certificates for people with limited resources in St. Louis.
Due to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the program suspended its walk-in hours beginning in mid-March to protect the health and safety of program guests and volunteers. The program is now preparing to reopen in June in a way that adheres to best practices set out by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and local government orders.
The program is seeking volunteers to help with on-site at College Church with ID and birth certificate assistance on Tuesdays for at least one two-hour shift.
Volunteers will receive in-depth training and ample on-site support.
- Feel comfortable working as close as physical distancing allows with guests who belong to at-risk groups; and do not themselves belong to at-risk groups.
- Can commit to two hours a week of onsite service.
- Will navigate, with ease, iPads and standard copy machine.
- Approach individuals whose life experiences may not mirror their own with respect, patience, and compassion.
- Are teachable and are willing and able to work with good humor, humility and poise.
- Communicate with care and are able to create and maintain boundaries and to stay calm under pressure.
- ID and Birth Certificate Volunteer
- Works one-on-one with program guests to review Missouri State IDs and birth certificates requirements, managing paperwork needed for applications.
- New volunteers can be matched with a remote, at-home volunteer for real time guidance.
- Set-up, Breakdown and Sanitation Ministry
- Helps to set-up tables in the ballroom; serves as keeper of disinfectant spray, potential-maker of DIY masks; bathroom checker; greeter; CDC best practice facilitator and enforcer; managing breaking down tables, etc.
To find out next steps to volunteer or learn more, contact Tess Sanders or call 573-833-4817.
Submitted by Tess Sanders.