Your 2021 Spring Semester AskSLU Toolbox
Information Technology Services (ITS) has been working hard over the winter break to ensure that classrooms and tools are ready for the semester start.
ITS has developed this summary of online resources to help support faculty with technology specific to teaching. Please review the resources available and contact ITS at 314-977-4000 if you need assistance. The AskSLU team members are here to help.
Blackboard Learn is SLU’s learning management system (LMS). It can be used for online courses, hybrid courses or to supplement face to face courses. It has tools for sharing content, communication, assessments, grading and outcomes. The Blackboard Learn system is highly flexible and customizable. Available tools include email, discussion boards, blogs, journals and more.
- SLU ATC Blackboard Information & Support Site - this site contains the top 10 FAQs for Blackboard Learn, an introductory video plus information on Blackboard Learn’s integration with Banner.
- Blackboard Support Site – contains quick start guides, video tutorials and answers to common issues.
Panopto is SLU’s lecture and content capture tool. It is used for creating, editing, and distributing audio/video content. Full integration into Blackboard, advanced analytics, closed captioning, and video editing are just a few of its features.
- SLU ATC Panopto Information & Support Site – this site contains information on SLU specific Panopto tips and techniques regarding lecture capture.
- How to Copy and Move Panopto Sessions – information on how to copy or move Panopto content from a previous course for reuse. It is recommended to contact SLU ATC team via email@example.com if you need to assistance with moving an entire course.
- Panopto Support Site – contains Panopto video tutorials and support documentation.
Zoom is an easy-to-use web conferencing platform that lets you create, join and host meetings. The meetings can also be recorded for later reference. Here are several resources to help you with using Zoom:
- Zoom Quick Start Guide – information on how to login to Zoom, schedule a meeting and invite participants.
- Ten Simple Steps to Securing Zoom and Best Practices for Securing Your Virtual Classroom – tips on how to keep your Zoom classrooms secure.
- SLU ATC Zoom Technology Guidance for Hybrid Courses – this site provides tips and tricks for using technology for teaching online students.
- Zoom Resources for Education – resources from Zoom for educators regarding online education.
Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor for Blackboard Learn are designed to enable a secure test taking environment in Blackboard. Students download the browser on Mac or PC and use it to log into Blackboard to take LockDown Browser enabled exams. The Respondus Monitor is an artificial intelligence based remote proctoring tool that leverages the LockDown Browser, the student’s webcam, and video analytics to monitor a student while taking the online exam and alert the instructor to possible issues.
- SLU ATC Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor Faculty Information – an overview of the Respondus secure testing environment for SLU faculty.
- Respondus LockDown Browser Resources and Respondus Monitor Resources – resources for training webinars and getting started videos.
Classroom, Online Technologies Support
SLU ITS technical support team members will be spread out over campus the first two weeks of classes to help support urgent needs quickly. Please look for ITS staffers in AskSLU shirts and flag them down. You can also call 314-977-4000. Please let the technician know that you have an urgent classroom issue and ITS will dispatch someone to your location. Additionally, the phone icon on the Crestron AV control panel in classrooms will directly dial the ITS classroom support team.
Submitted by Leslie Williams.