Learn how to join the Saint Louis University Staff Advisory Committee and meet the Executive Board.
The Staff Advisory Committee (SAC) meets on the third Thursday of the month to:
- Examine new or upcoming policy issues.
- Discuss existing policies.
- Consider questions of concern or interest to staff.
- Hear reports from staff members who sit on various University committees.
- Make suggestions and recommendations pertaining to staff.
How to Join
Any staff member who does not belong to a collective bargaining unit is eligible to join the Staff Advisory Committee. Interested staff may join by completing the online membership application.
Completed membership applications will go to a Google spreadsheet and be reviewed by the Staff Advisory Committee chair, recording secretary, and membership coordinator. Questions may be addressed to Rachel Young at firstname.lastname@example.org or Judi Buncher at email@example.com. You may also contact the Staff Advisory Committee Executive Board through the general e-mail, SAC@slu.edu.
The University administration sanctions SAC, and time spent attending committee and subcommittee meetings is officially considered paid time by the University. Since meetings are held during normal office hours, those interested in becoming members of SAC should inform their supervisors before joining the organization. If requested, the SAC Executive Board or the vice president for human resources will provide any supervisor with information about SAC.
Because the Staff Advisory Committee members are expected to provide input on various issues, members must attend enough meetings to remain sufficiently informed.
The chair, chair-elect, past chair, corresponding secretary, recording secretary, treasurer, and membership coordinator will provide leadership as the Executive Board of the SAC.
Annual elections are held each April. Terms of office run July 1 through June 30. Each current chair may invite any previous chair(s) to serve on the Executive Board in an advisory, ex officio capacity during that chair's term. Each July, all SAC Ad Hoc and standing committee chairs and SAC archivist will be appointed or re-appointed by the Executive Board.
The 2023-2024 Staff Advisory Committee Executive Board consists of the following members:
- Chair: Judi Buncher, Vice-President's Office of Mission and Identity
- Chair-Elect: Felicia Powell-Eberhart, Doisy College of Health Sciences
- Recording Secretary: Karen Bolinger, Center for Advanced Dental Education
- Corresponding Secretary: Courtney Neal, Office of the Vice President for Research and Partnerships
- Membership Coordinator: Rachel Young, Department of Physical Therapy and Athletic Training
- Treasurer: Matt Campbell, Doisy College of Health Sciences
Joyce Huelsmann Outstanding SAC Member Award
Every year, a member of the Staff Advisory Committee is awarded the Joyce Huelsmann Outstanding SAC Member Award. The award was established to honor founding SAC member Joyce Huelsmann (SLU staff - 1963-2010) and recognizes a member of the Staff Advisory Committee who has best exhibited the qualities necessary for the type of leadership, service and positive spirit that were a hallmark of Joyce Huelsmann and her involvement at Saint Louis University, and more specifically, the Staff Advisory Committee. Her high moral standards, strong work ethic, and personal commitment to leadership through example, integrity, compassion, and respect for all continue to be a cornerstone of the Staff Advisory Committee. Past recipients include:
- 2022: Ellen Weis, Office of the Registrar
- 2021: Kathryn Dortch, Corporate and Foundation Relations
- 2020: Kristin Hrasky, Department of Physical Therapy and Athletic Training
- 2019: Debbie Dill Garvin, Alumni and Donor Engagement
- 2018: Amelia Blanton Hibner, School of Social Work
- 2017: Peter Garvin, Public Safety
- 2016: Rita Stites, School of Medicine, Pediatric Administration
- 2015: Frances "Sue" Stevens, Department of Internal Medicine
- 2014: Yvonne McCool, Trudy Busch Valentine School of Nursing
- 2013: Cyn Wise, Biology
- 2012: Susan Torretta, Psychiatry
- 2011: Carolyn Mulhall, Molecular Virology