Welcome to the Billiken family! One of the ways we’ll help you launch your Saint Louis University experience is Billikens' First Chapter, a program that combines SLU’s academic excellence with support services to assist you with your transition to college — personally, socially and academically.
Billikens’ First Chapter is a one-stop shop for connecting with resources on and off campus, throughout your first year of college. Whether you are looking for academic tutoring, ways to volunteer in the community or secure that first internship — Billiken's First Chapter can assist. You’ll also connect with other Billikens, get immersed in the SLU community and find a sense of belonging at SLU.
What Billikens' First Chapter Provides
- Opportunities to successfully transition into college life and the surrounding St. Louis community
- Tips for getting around SLU's campus and identifying campus and city resources
- An integrated social support system and connection with SLU students, staff and faculty
- Information about opportunities for academic success
- Deeper understanding of SLU's mission and Jesuit Catholic values: caring for the whole person — mind, body and spirit — and encouraging students to become well-rounded people who contribute to the greater good.
How to Participate
You've been selected to participate in Billikens' First Chapter based on information you provided during your admission process. There is no application or fee associated with Billiken's First Chapter, just holistic support for your transition to college life at Saint Louis University.
In your first week at SLU, you’ll be contacted by a navigator, your guide throughout the Billikens’ First Chapter program, to help answer any questions or concerns you may have as you move to SLU.
Attend workshop series designed for the transition to college. All workshops will be held in Morrissey Hall, Room 0400, from 4-5 p.m.
- Sept. 2: Habits for Academic Success - Featuring SLU's vice president of student development
- Sept. 9: Time Management and Organization - Featuring SLU's academic advising staff
- Sept. 16: Getting Involved and Coping with Homesickness - Featuring staff from SLU's Student Involvement Center and the Center for Service and Community Engagement
- Sept. 23: Holistic Wellness: Mind, Body and Spirit - Featuring staff from SLU Campus Ministry, Campus Recreation and Wellness, and Student Health
- Sept. 30: Your Career Starts Today - Featuring staff from SLU's Dean of Students Office and Saint Louis University Career Services
- Oct. 7: Building Resiliency - Featuring SLU's academic advising staff
Throughout your first semester at SLU, your navigator will meet with you one-on-one and in small groups to learn your goals for getting involved, using resources, time management, end-of-term grades and setting priorities. They’ll help you create individualized to-do lists, a set of deadlines and determine an accountability structure.
Hear about how the SLU community is here to help make your first year as a Billiken a success.