Welcome to SLU and the Billikens' First Chapter (BFC) family! We are excited to welcome you to the HUB and support you as you navigate your first year at Saint Louis University.
It’s important to know that all BFC participants are called BFC Scholars. We view you as more than a student: you are a scholar navigating your new journey at SLU. College presents a wide range of experiences that can result in a variety of emotions as you adjust to a new environment and new expectations. We want to walk alongside you as you process this journey as well as create a space where you feel seen, heard, supported and valued. We can’t wait to meet you.
BFC is designed to connect BFC Scholars with campus and community resources. Whether BFC Scholars are looking for a safe space to discuss their transition to college life, ways to get involved on campus or within the St. Louis community, identifying and establishing their success network, or learning how to navigate the academic culture at SLU, BFC is here to assist. Billikens’ First Chapter uses one-on-one meetings, large-scale programming, a cura personalis 1 course and cross-campus collaborations to assist BFC Scholars in their personal, social and academic life at SLU.
What Billikens' First Chapter Provides
- Assigning each BFC Scholar a First-Year Navigator
- Offering a cura personalis course during the fall semester
- Facilitating Faculty Chew and Chat programs
- Access to a limited selection of textbooks for popular first-year courses
- Monthly birthday celebrations for BFC Scholars
- And much more!
How to Participate
You've been selected to participate in Billikens' First Chapter based on information you provided during your admission process. There is no application or fee associated with Billiken's First Chapter, just holistic support for your transition to college life at Saint Louis University.
In your first week at SLU, you’ll be contacted by a navigator, your guide throughout the Billikens’ First Chapter program, to help answer any questions or concerns you may have as you move to SLU.
Attend workshop series designed for the transition to college. All workshops will be held in Morrissey Hall, Room 0400, from 4-5 p.m.
- Sept. 2: Habits for Academic Success - Featuring SLU's vice president of student development
- Sept. 9: Time Management and Organization - Featuring SLU's academic advising staff
- Sept. 16: Getting Involved and Coping with Homesickness - Featuring staff from SLU's Student Involvement Center and the Center for Social Action
- Sept. 23: Holistic Wellness: Mind, Body and Spirit - Featuring staff from SLU Campus Ministry, Campus Recreation and Wellness, and Student Health
- Sept. 30: Your Career Starts Today - Featuring staff from SLU's Dean of Students Office and Saint Louis University Career Services
- Oct. 7: Building Resiliency - Featuring SLU's academic advising staff
Throughout your first semester at SLU, your navigator will meet with you one-on-one and in small groups to learn your goals for getting involved, using resources, time management, end-of-term grades and setting priorities. They’ll help you create individualized to-do lists, a set of deadlines and determine an accountability structure.
Hear about how the SLU community is here to help make your first year as a Billiken a success.
Helpful SLU Resources for Your First Year and Beyond