Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Academic Accommodations

Academic accommodations are modifications and/or adjustments designed to remove barriers due to a disability and promote access within your classes at Saint Louis University. Accommodations do not lower the expectations for you as a SLU student and do not change what you are taught or tested on, but they can support your ability to learn and demonstrate your knowledge by removing obstacles.

Apply for Academic Accommodations

  1. Complete the Academic Accommodations Request Form. These request forms will be submitted via DocuSign. If you need a hard copy of the Academic Accommodations Request Form, please request a copy through a staff member. 

    Complete an Academic Accommodations Request Form
  2. Submit documentation of your diagnosis or disability. Information must be typed on official letterhead and signed by a qualified professional.

    Documentation should include the following information:
    • A statement of the diagnosis or disability.
    • Functional impact or symptoms associated with the diagnosis/disability. This helps inform our office of which accommodations may be reasonable and appropriate.
    • Severity and/or expected progression (if applicable).
    • Current medications and any related side effects (if applicable).
    • Current and/or past accommodations (if applicable).
    • Any recommended accommodations.

We ask that documentation be as current as possible to ensure appropriate accommodations are considered. All documentation should be submitted via email or turned in to a staff member.

  1. Schedule an appointment with one of the staff members in the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources. Students can schedule an appointment with one of the Center’s staff members by logging into their account.

    1. Log into
    2. Select EAB Navigate.
    3. Click on “Schedule an Appointment.”
    4. Select "Student Services."
    5. Select "Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources."
    6. Select an appointment time.

Students have the option of meeting in person or virtually. All virtual appointments will be conducted via Zoom. Students who select the virtual option will receive a Zoom link in their SLU email.

Newly admitted and incoming students can meet with the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources staff during SLU 101 summer orientation or at the beginning of the fall semester.

View, Renew or Change Accommodations

View my Approved Academic Accommodations

If you have approved accommodations, you can view them in Banner:

  1. Visit mySLU and log in.
  2. Select the “Tools” tab at the top and go to Banner Self-Service. You may also select the Okta application and select Banner Self-Service.
  3. Once you are in Banner, select the “Student” tab.
  4. At the bottom of this page, select "View All Approved Accommodations."
Renew my Academic Accommodations

Accommodations must be renewed annually before the fall semester. The cycle begins and ends each August. The Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources will send communication via email to renew your academic accommodations as a reminder. Students must complete the Academic Accommodations Renewal Request Form, submitted online via DocuSign.

Academic Accommodations Renewal Request Form

If you are continuing the same accommodations from previous semesters, you are welcome, but not required, to meet with a staff member in the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources. If you would like to discuss or request other accommodations, please schedule an appointment with the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources via EAB Navigate.

Change, Add to or Adjust my Approved Accommodations

Students with approved accommodations are welcome to change, add to or adjust their accommodations. To do this, students must schedule an appointment with a staff member in the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources to discuss these changes/adjustments. Documentation may be required for any adjustments or changes depending on the request.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will information about my disability be confidential?

Student disability documentation and information are confidential.

You only need to share documented disability and related information with staff in the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources to determine reasonable accommodations. Professors, academic advisers, and other staff members at SLU do not need to know about your specific disability; they only need the necessary information about your accommodations.

Your approved accommodations will be visible to instructors in Banner. No other information, such as medical diagnosis or case notes, will be visible.

Will my information be disclosed to other SLU staff/faculty?

In some situations, it may be necessary for staff members from the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources to disclose some aspect of your diagnosed information to a faculty member, academic advisor or another counselor if that disclosure will immediately support the SLU personnel in doing their job in a way that benefits you. Such disclosure is legitimate within the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Saint Louis University FERPA guide.

The Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources will weigh each situation carefully and share only information necessary to address the circumstance. In most cases, when information is disclosed to a SLU employee, it is for one of two reasons:

  1. You spoke to the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources yourself and asked that they speak with the SLU employee.
  2. The SLU employee contacted the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources to seek guidance on supporting you best. Note that the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources makes every attempt to advise SLU employees without such disclosure.

If the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources feels that the revelation of some information will not improve how the SLU faculty member or staff person will do their job, or if the staff feels that doing so may lead to discrimination or hindrance of your educational rights, then we will not disclose any diagnosis information.

Will my parents or legal guardians have access to my accommodations?

Academic accommodations will only be discussed with parents or guardians if the student authorizes that access through the Student Consent of Disclosure of FERPA Records Form. Even with this authorization, the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources will initiate contact with parents and/or guardians only when information from them is needed to facilitate reasonable accommodations.

Will there be a list of my accommodations on my transcripts?

Academic transcripts and academic accommodations are separate. Academic transcripts do not in any way indicate if you received accommodations. Information will only be relayed outside Saint Louis University with your written permission.

Is the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources able to provide my information or files to other schools?

The Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources can provide copies of your accommodation records from Saint Louis University. This may help determine academic accommodations if you attend another institution after leaving SLU. You will need to contact the Center at 314-977-3484 or to provide the contact information of the location to send the files.

Are my accommodations provided when I study abroad?

Accommodations provided to students within the United States are related to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. The ADA governs activities within the United States. Classes outside the United States may not necessarily allow you the same access to accommodations due to different laws. If you have a disability and are weighing different campus options, please contact the study abroad office at to discuss opportunities that best fit your needs.

For the SLU campus in Madrid, the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources at the Saint Louis campus can easily forward accommodations upon request. You are responsible for contacting the counselor in Madrid to discuss the process there. Your documentation on file in the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources will not automatically transfer to other institutions abroad. Determine who the contact is for the program you will be attending and work with both the study abroad and the Center's staff at SLU on transferring information.

Once the documentation is sent, you must communicate with the contact abroad to determine any accommodations.

I am a newly admitted student/incoming freshman. When should I apply for accommodations?

Congratulations on your acceptance! Students can apply for accommodations when they wish to do so. If students want to have accommodations approved before the semester begins, it is encouraged that the application process begins before your SLU 101 orientation or the summer before your first semester of classes. The Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources staff is available to meet with incoming students throughout the summer.

Can you meet the same accommodations I had in high school through my 504 plan or IEP?

We will review all accommodations provided in high school. Depending on the case, we may be able to match the accommodations. This is determined by the information provided by the student and the accommodations available.