Saint Louis University's construction services department is responsible for ensuring that all construction and renovation projects are planned, designed and completed to meet the needs of the campus community and serve the goals of the University.
Construction services staff members are committed to creating a campus that maintains the historical integrity and data of our buildings, promotes new trends in construction, is dynamic in character and provides space planning that supports the University strategic plan.
Our design and project management staff works closely with the University administration and various campus departments to ensure capital projects and departmental requests efficiently serve the SLU's long-range goals.
Departments may request a wide variety of project types and services from construction services. To determine if your project idea is appropriate for our project request process, please review the Available Services List (PDF).
For those projects that meet these criteria, please submit the new Project Request to Construction Services via the FM Systems module located on the "myslu.slu.edu/tools" home page. Step by step instructions on submitting an online project request are available to assist with new project submissions.
Additionally, the Life Cycle of a Capital Project (PDF) illustrates how the project requests move from concept to construction.
The Department of Construction Services uses the Billiken Construction Crew for Tenant Finish type projects including, but not limited to: minor demolition, carpentry, floor finishing and painting. This in-house crew functions as its own general contractor on specified projects for cost avoidance. Based on the nature and scope of the project request, an internal review will determine if the Billiken Construction Crew will be used.
The construction services department is committed to providing high-quality services. To achieve this, we need your department to take on the following responsibilities throughout the project process:
- Decision Making: You need to assign someone to the project team. This person should have high-level decision making authority and access to all parties required to make final budget and program decisions.
- Architect and Contractor Relationships: The project manager is the sole administrator for construction and improvement contracts. Please direct any questions or concerns regarding the performance or activities of contractors to the assigned project manager. No one else can give direction to contractors.
- Construction Disruptions and Inconveniences: We take all prudent efforts to reduce or eliminate construction-related inconveniences to occupants and visitors. But some are unavoidable. We ask you to keep your staff informed of the reality that some inconveniences are inevitable.
Space Planning and Requests
Physical space is one of SLU's largest resources. Our space inventory management system (FM:Interact) catalogs this space to produce quick, graphical drawings and reports.
This web-based system allows department and executive administrators to access facilities-related information from nearly anywhere.
The Department of Construction Services supports the entire Facilities Services Division and the University community with these services:
- Collecting, recording, and organizing information about the University's physical plant, including the use of computer-aided drafting and design to produce visual representations of data
- Providing technology tools that make this data accessible and ease communications about University property
- Using the information in performing analyses, particularly space planning and forecasting
Departments may request the use of vacant space by completing a Request for Space Allocation form and submitting it to the department of Facilities Data Management. All requests are reviewed by facilities services and the University Space Committee. See our Space Allocation Guidelines (PDF) for complete instructions. For more information, please review our Space Standards (PDF).
FM:Interact Support Services
Facilities Data Management provides support for the FM:Interact work order system. Support services include:
- Floor plan printouts
- Visual map access
For support using FM:Interact, click here to submit a service request.