Skip to main content
Menu Search & Directory

Visa and Immigration

If you want to study, work or live in the United States, you’ll probably need a visa. The type of visa will depend on what you plan to do while you’re here.

Student Visa
Work Visa
Visitor Visa
Dependent Visa

Your visa is the stamp in your passport that was issued to you by a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. It is considered an entry document, so it needs to be valid when you travel and plan to re-enter the United States. If it expires while you are studying in the United States, and you have no plans to travel outside the United States, you will still be in status.

The Office of International Services is the sole source of information and immigration-related services for foreign nationals at Saint Louis University. All requests for and documentation related to non-immigrant visas must come through our office. It is our responsibility to:

  • Process all non-immigrant visas for students, medical residents, faculty or staff
  • Act as the liaison on all issues of non-immigrant visas with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Department of State, the Department of Labor or sponsoring agencies
  • Maintain the public records for non-immigrant visas
  • Comply with Department of Homeland Security and Department of State reporting requirements on all foreign nationals at Saint Louis University

The Office of International Services does not assist with applications for permanent residency.