International students usually come to the United States with either an F-1 or J-1 visa.
F-1 Student Visa
The F-1 is the most common visa for undergraduate students at Saint Louis University. After you are admitted to the University and confirm your enrollment, SLU will send you an I-20 form, which is required for an F-1 student visa.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa
The J-1 exchange visitor visa is for students who will be attending Saint Louis University temporarily (one or two semesters). After you are admitted to the University and confirm your enrollment, SLU will send you a DS-2019 form.
Things to Keep in Mind
- If you’re applying for an F-1 visa, it must be issued within 120 days of the start date on your I-20 form.
- Check the website of your embassy or consulate for a list of documents required for your visa application.
- Visa appointments slots can fill up. Schedule your appointment early in the process to assure you’ll get an interview. Some consulates may waive the interview requirement for F-1 visa applicants, but you won’t know until you make your visa appointment.
- After your visa is approved, notify SLU by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Both F-1 and J-1 visa-holders can enter the United States up to 30 days before the program begins.