Fall Move-In: What You Need to Know
The residence halls are ready and the entire campus community is primed to welcome Saint Louis University’s newest Billikens and their families during Fall Move-In.
What to Know About Move-In
- Honors Program students will move in on Wednesday, Aug. 21.
- New first-year students will move in on Thursday, Aug. 22.
- Returning students will move in between Friday, Aug. 23, and Saturday, Aug. 24.
Who's Here to Help Me?
- Members of the Oriflamme, of the Department of Housing and Residence Life and RAs will all be waiting to help arriving Billikens and their families.
- Additionally, SLU faculty, staff members and student volunteers will also be on hand to help with Move-In matters, from holding elevator doors to registering students to helping heft all those lava lamps, Billiken pennants and Keurigs.
- For emergencies, the Department of Campus Safety is always on hand.
If you run into any maintenance issues, including things like electrical or heating/cooling issues, in an on-campus residence hall or apartment, please contact Facilities Services at 314-977-2955 or submit a facilities service request through MySLU.
How to Get Around During Move-In?
- Traffic will be heavy on the streets surrounding campus on Move-In days. Faculty, staff members, students and other campus visitors should plan for extra time to get to and from campus locations.
- Laclede Avenue will be temporarily transformed into a one-way street from Vandeventer Avenue to Grand Boulevard. SLU community members who are not taking part in Move-In activities should avoid using Laclede. Beginning on the evening of Wednesday, Aug. 21, Laclede Avenue – between Vandeventer Avenue and Grand Boulevard – will be closed to normal traffic.
- Drivers should watch the road for extra pedestrians and golf carts, and proceed cautiously and slowly, as more people will be crossing streets in and around campus.
Where Should I Park?
- Check out the map of open garages and more tips on where to park during Fall Move-In.
I’ve Moved In, Now What?
There are a host of Fall Welcome activities planned to introduce students and their families to life at SLU.
Fall Welcome Highlights
- First Floor Meetings: Students can meet their new neighbors, meet their RAs and peer mentors and can learn about living on campus.
- Commuter and Transfer Meet-ups: Sponsored by the Commuter Assistants and Transfer Mentors, these welcome meetings are a chance to meet new friends and to enjoy a meal together in the Saint Louis Room.
- ‘First-Year Floats’: Oriflamme members will whip up ice cream floats, courtesy of St. Louis’s own Fitz’s Soda, to wrap up new students’ first official day as Billikens.
- Parent and Family Jazz Reception: New Billiken family members can chill out under the stars with food and music.
- Convocation: The official kickoff to the academic year is a celebration of new beginnings and new Billikens that will feature an inspirational message from University President Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D., and other outstanding speakers. The ceremony will stream live on both Saint Louis University's Facebook page and website.
- College and School Orientation Programs: SLU’s colleges and schools will share special programs that include workshops, lunch and chances to score some SLU swag (while supplies last!)
- Family Farewell: A chance to offer some last minute advice, to snap a fresh photo to remember a special day or to share a family hug.
- Paint SLU: A favorite event from SLU’s 2018 bicentennial year, students will enjoy an exciting night that is a cross between live concert and color run. Real paint and shower caps provided.
- New Student Day of Service: SLU’s newest students will join their classmates, RAs and Oriflamme members in giving back as part of the University’s 200 year-old tradition of care and volunteerism.
- Spirit Competition and Men’s Soccer Game: Break out the Billiken gear and cheer on the home team for a chance to take home the title of proudest SLU students.
- C U @ the Rec: Dance Extravaganza: As the song goes, “Just dance!” at this party at the Simon Recreation Center. The night includes a showcase of SLU’s many cultural dance teams and the traditional Fall Welcome favorite – the Square Dance.
- Party on Grand: Head to Bicentennial Plaza outside of the Grand Dining Hall for Bingo, yard games and SLU’s own rendition of Carpool Karaoke to wind down the night.
- Yoga on the Quad: Mellow out and stretch out muscles sore from Saturday night’s fun with mindful movement amid your fellow Billikens.
- First 9 p.m. Mass: A timeless SLU tradition, take part in your first student liturgy of the 2019-2020 academic year. A St. Louis treat will follow.