Move-In Traffic and Parking: What You Need to Know
During Fall Move-In Day on Thursday, Aug. 22, traffic will be heavy in the area around campus, and campus parking options will be impacted.
Staff, faculty and students should read the guidance below, and consult the map provided here, in order to plan for getting to, from and around campus, and to be prepared to park in a new, temporary location during Move-In and Fall Welcome.
Where to Park
- The entire Laclede Garage will be used as an unloading zone for students in the Griesedieck Complex and Grand Hall. Laclede Garage permit holders should plan to park in the Olive Compton Garage on this day. A shuttle will be provided from the Olive Compton Garage to ease SLU community members' commute to and from campus.
- Faculty and staff should avoid the Laclede Garage and other surface lots during Fall Welcome, as students and their families move into the residence halls. See the map. These lots are identified with cross-hatched shading. Residence halls are identified with solid shading.
- A number of SLU surface lots will be used for move-in and closed to permit holders. Travel on Laclede Avenue will also be affected, including no westbound traffic between Vandeventer Avenue and Grand Boulevard.
- This year, the entire Laclede Garage will be used as a staging area for students moving into the Griesedieck Complex and Grand Hall. After students have checked in and unloaded on the main level, they will move their vehicles to the bottom or top level.
- Laclede Garage permit holders must park in the Olive Compton Garage on Thursday, Aug. 22.
- A number of surface lots will be closed to permit holders so that they can be used for students and parents to unload or park their vehicles. Permit parking will not be allowed in the following lots between 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 21, and 8 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 25.
- Gonzaga Lot will be unavailable starting at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 20, to accommodate early move in for Honors Program students living in Spring Hall.
Lots Closed for Move-In and Fall Welcome Activities
- Holy Cross
- San Francisco
- St. Peters
Watch the Roads
- Faculty and staff should avoid Laclede Avenue, which will be one-way from Vandeventer Avenue to Grand Boulevard.
- Starting on Wednesday, Aug, 21, in the evening, and continuing through the morning of Friday, Aug. 23, Laclede Avenue — between Vandeventer Avenue and Grand Boulevard — will be closed to normal traffic.
- All vehicles planning to travel on Laclede Avenue should approach from Vandeventer Avenue toward Grand Boulevard as all lanes will be actively used by students who are moving in.
- Once students leave the Laclede Garage after move-in, they will be directed to park in the Olive Compton Garage. Shuttles will be provided to assist students, faculty, and staff in navigating campus on move-in day.
- The Billiken shuttle will run on a 10-minute loop during move-in, with stops at Olive Compton Garage and the Busch Student Center.
- In addition, golf-cart shuttles will be provided to assist students in reaching Marguerite Hall, Fusz Hall and Spring Hall.
- A shuttle will be available for SLU faculty, staff members and other community members from the Olive Compton Garage to ease the impact of parking changes on their commutes to and from campus. This shuttle will run continuously during Move-In.