SLUCare Physicians to be Honored for Compassion
Four SLUCare physicians will receive this year’s Caring Physician Award from the Pastoral
Care department at SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital. The annual award highlights
those who have consistently engaged with SSM Health’s mission statement: “Through
our exceptional health care services, we reveal the healing presence of God.”
The four will be honored at a service on Friday, Oct. 27, in the chapel at SSM Health
Saint Louis University Hospital.
This year’s recipients are:
- Jonathan Chica, M.D., Surgery
- Andrew Kichura, M.D., Cardiology
- William Newman, M.D., Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience
- Sadashiv Santosh, M.D., Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Medical staff, medical students, administration and physicians nominated 23 physicians
this year. For a complete list, see the nominations. Nominations were solely based on how physicians carry out the mission of Saint Louis
University and SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital.
When selecting a physician, nominators looked at criteria represented in seven areas:
- The physician excels in working with patients, families and staff.
- The physician treats everyone as a sacred human being.
- The physician respects all patients’ right to life and to a dignified death.
- The physician contributes to quality care of her or his patients.
- The physician is open to holistic, innovative and spiritual care.
- The physician makes contributions to the hospital community.
- The physician makes contributions to the community at large.
The Pastoral Care department noted that each nomination showed the nominee's significance,
talent and overall appreciation for their work.
The Caring Physician Award service also commemorates the feast of Saint Luke, the
patron saint of physicians.