Mourning the Loss of Two Students
November 28, 2022
Dear members of the SLU community,
It is with a heavy heart that I share some news with you involving the death of two of our School of Medicine students this weekend.
Uthej Kunta and Shiva Datta Keligari, two graduate students from our Health Data Science program, died this weekend after a tragic drowning incident at the Lake of the Ozarks. These two scholars came to SLU from Telangana, India.
We mourn with Uthej and Shiva’s friends and loved ones, their classmates and professors, the staff members who supported their journeys here at SLU, and all those who grieve.
Know that your SLU family is here for you. We want to remind you of the resources available to you as you work through your own needs and grief:
- University Counseling Center (UCC): All students can utilize the University Counseling Center from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. A trained and licensed therapist is also available 24/7 by calling 314-977-TALK (8255) and pressing 9.
- Dean of Students Office: The Dean of Students Office supports students in navigating campus resources and can offer guidance managing health and wellbeing. Students can contact the Dean of Students Office via email@example.com or 314-977-9378.
- Campus Ministry: The Eckelkamp Center for Campus Ministry can be reached at 314-977-2425, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Campus Ministry’s doors –– on the first floor of Wuller Hall, in many of the residence halls and in room 207 of Caroline Hall on the South Campus–– are always open for you to stop in and pray or process.
- Center for Counseling and Family Therapy: Faculty from the Center for Counseling and Family Therapy welcome anyone from the SLU community. You can call 314-977-2505 to schedule an appointment from 12-8 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): The EAP program offers help scheduling professional counseling for SLU employees by calling 800-859-9319. Please contact email@example.com with questions.
Please join us in praying for Uthej and Shiva’s loved ones during this difficult time.
Sarah K. Cunningham, Ed.D.
Vice President for Student Development