Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Live Stream: Saint Louis University Quad

About This View

A statue of Saint Ignatius of Loyola stands sentry over a grassy area just off of West Pine Mall west of Grand Boulevard. This spot at the heart of SLU's campus is known as "the quad." 

Now popular for studying and sports, the quad dates back to the earliest days of SLU's current location. It abuts  DuBourg Hall, the oldest building on campus. Now the University's central administration building, DuBourg Hall once housed all of SLU's operations, including classrooms, a library, a gym and housing.

Along the west side of the quad stands Pius XII Memorial Library. Built in 1959, the library is named after Pope Pius XII and is home to the Vatican Film Library, as well as more than 1.7 volumes. It also houses SLU's Academic Technology Commons and a coffee shop on the first floor.

Over the years, the quad itself was often home to recreational activity, including handball courts. Following World War II, Quonset Huts on the quad were used as classrooms to accommodate a flood of new students. 

Today, in addition to being a popular gathering spot, the quad is home to annual events, including Homecoming and Family Weekend and Christmas on the Quad. 

Interested in Seeing Campus in Person?

Campus tours or special visit events are available almost any day of the year. 

Schedule a Visit