Saint Louis University offers employees tuition benefits including tuition remission and tuition exchange.
Tuition Benefits Webinar Presentation
Tuition Remission Application Instructions
Tuition Exchange and FACHEX information
Tuition Remission for Employees
Eligible faculty, staff and Emeritus faculty may apply for and receive a full waiver of tuition for up to 18 hours per academic year. There is a $25 per credit hour non-refundable fee.
In order for full-time faculty, full-time staff or Emeritus faculty to be eligible for the benefit, he or she must be considered a full-time faculty or staff member during the month of the first day of classes for the term for which tuition-remission benefits are requested and meet requirements for admission as well as maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
Eligible participants can apply for the tuition remission benefit online through Workday. A universal tuition remission application process allows you to apply once for tuition remission benefits. The approved applications will remain in place until you no longer meet the eligibility requirements.
These tuition remission benefits shall not apply for the following:
- University fees and course-related fees
- Classes offered at any university, college, junior college or other educational institution other than the University
- Tuition in excess of an overall limit of 180 credit hours for undergraduate, graduate and professional school tuition remission
- Courses offered by Saint Louis University as non-credit courses or continuing education.
- Medical school tuition
- When any satisfactory academic progress or admission requirement established by the Academic Vice President's Office is not met
- A period of one term should a participant withdraw from courses in two consecutive terms or during the majority of terms for which they register in an academic year
Graduate Level Course Tax Liability
The IRS requires employees to pay taxes on graduate tuition benefits that exceed $5,250 in a given calendar year. Employees will receive a letter once the limit is exceeded, and the appropriate taxes will be withheld from paychecks upon receipt of the employee class enrollment report.
To request that advanced tax deductions be withheld for the current Calendar Year, you may fill out the form below and submit the form to Payroll Services. Please read the form carefully as the elections you submit will affect your paycheck amounts for the remainder of the calendar year.
FAQs Graduate Tuition Remission Taxation
Tuition Remission for Spouse and Children
The spouse and/or children (natural or adopted) of any full-time faculty, staff or Emeritus faculty are eligible for benefits under the tuition-remission plan.
Eligible participants can apply for dependent tuition-remission benefit online through the Workday. A universal tuition-remission application process allows you to apply once for tuition-remission benefits. The approved applications will remain in place until you no longer meet the eligibility requirements.
There is a tuition-remission fee assessed on a per credit hour basis, as follows:
- For dependent of SLU employee (Pell-eligible): $25 ($75 per 3-hour class)
- For dependent of SLU employee: $50 ($150 per 3-hour class)
In order for a spouse or child to be eligible as a plan participant, during the month of the first day of classes for the term for which tuition-remission benefits are requested he or she must qualify as a spouse or child of a current or former full-time faculty or staff member who during the month of the first day of classes for the term for which tuition-remission benefits are sought meets one of the following criteria:
- He or she is a full-time faculty or staff member who has completed three years of continuous full-time service with the University immediately during the month of the first day of classes for which tuition-remission benefits are sought; or
- He or she is a former full-time staff member who was employed for more than seven consecutive years by the University and a former full-time Faculty Member and he or she terminated employment with the University by reason of his or her death or by reason of retirement upon or after the attainment of age 60.
- Must not have been awarded a Bachelor's degree; and
- Must have met the established requirements for admission to the University and must have been admitted to one of the undergraduate programs of the University;
- Can be a degree-seeking student from another institution;
- Must, once admitted, continue to meet existing requirements to maintain satisfactory academic progress at Saint Louis University; and
- In the case of a child, must not have reached his or her 25th birthday.
- In the case of a child, must be natural born or adopted by the faculty, staff or Emeritus faculty. Step-children are not eligible for the benefit.
- A spouse or child who satisfies the eligibility requirements shall be entitled to a full waiver of tuition for undergraduate credit hours taken at the University.
These tuition remission benefits shall not apply:
- For undergraduate courses after receiving an undergraduate degree from any college or university
- For undergraduate courses in excess of 18 credit hours beyond the total required for the degree as stated in the "Undergraduate Catalog"
- For credit hours taken at the University at the graduate level
- For courses offered by Saint Louis University as non-credit courses or continuing education
- For University fees and course-related fees
- For courses exceeding registration limits
- When any satisfactory academic progress or admission requirement is not met
- For classes offered at any university, college, junior college or other educational institution other than Saint Louis University
Tuition Exchange and FACHEX
Saint Louis University participates in both the Tuition Exchange program and the Faculty and Staff Children Exchange and can provide information including eligibility, application deadlines, allowances and durations, and the application processes.
Tuition Exchange and FACHEX Deadline
The deadline to apply for the Tuition Exchange and FACHEX programs is Saturday, October 1, 2022.