Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Money and Banking

United States currency is the U.S. Dollar (USD) and symbolized by a $. 

Dollars are made of paper and are also known as bills, bucks and cash. They are printed in green and come in de­nominations of $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. Coins are produced in silver and copper, and there are 100 cents in one dollar. The penny (one cent) is the only copper-colored coin. The nickel (five cents) is larger than a penny. The dime (10 cents) is the smallest-sized coin, and the quar­ter (25 cents) is the largest. While uncommon, a one dol­lar gold coin is legal tender and might be given as change from the post office.


U.S. Bank has a branch on campus on the lower level of Busch Student Center. It offers full banking services, including checking and savings accounts.

To open an account, you will need your passport, your local address and at least $25 USD in the form of a check or cash. It is recom­mended to open a checking account soon after your arrival in the United States so that you get a debit card to use at stores and ATMs. If you live off campus, you may want to order personal checks to pay bills (such as cell phone and internet), although many bills are now payable online. Although theft is not usually a problem on SLU's campus, storing large amounts of cash in your residence hall or apartment is strongly discouraged.

Other popular full-service banks in the St. Louis area include Bank of America, Commerce Bank and UMB.

Carrying Money

Do not carry or keep large sums of cash or valu­ables in your residence hall or apartment; deposit money into a bank account. Valuables such as jewelry or important documents can be stored in a safety deposit box at your bank. The federal govern­ment insures most U.S. banks (look for the term "FDIC"); therefore, your de­posits are guaranteed.

When traveling, do not carry large amounts of cash with you. It’s a good idea to have a little bit of cash, and use your debit card to make purchases or withdraw small sums of money from an ATM.

Billiken Bucks

Your student ID serves as your identifica­tion card on campus. This card will get you into the library, gym and computer labs, and allow you to borrow books and equipment. You also can deposit money into a Billiken Bucks account, which operates much like an ATM card. This card can be used to purchase food and other items on campus and in nearby restaurants.

You can purchase Billiken Bucks through mySLU or in person at the Office of Parking and Card Services in DuBourg Hall, Room 33.