Learn more about arriving in St. Louis and attending your new student orientation.
Before You Arrive: Pre-Arrival Webinars
Please join the Office of International Services, INTO SLU and University support offices for pre-departure webinars that will help you prepare you for your arrival in St. Louis. Please register in advance for each session. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Schedule for Pre-Arrival Webinars
|Register||Session||Date/Time (Central Time)|
|Register||Confirm Your Place: Next steps to enrolling at SLU.||
November 18, 2021 7-8 a.m.
|Register||Next Steps to SLU: All about pre-departure, testing, orientation and other important topics to prepare for your studies at SLU.||December 2, 2021 7-8 a.m.|
|Register||SLU Campus Virtual Visit: Life in the U.S. and St. Louis.||
December 9, 2021 7-8 a.m.
|Register||Next Steps to SLU: All about pre-departure, testing, orientation and other important topics to prepare for your studies at SLU.||December 16, 2021 7-8 a.m.|
|Register||Next Steps to SLU: All about pre-departure, testing, orientation and other important topics to prepare for your studies at SLU.||January 5, 2022 7-8 a.m.|
Arriving in St. Louis
You will go through immigration at the first U.S. airport you enter, so you should be prepared to answer a few questions about your upcoming stay in the United States. Citizens of Canada who are driving to St. Louis will speak with an agent at the U.S. border. Either way, you should be prepared to share the following information:
Tell the inspector that you are a student at Saint Louis University.
Our address is:
1 North Grand Boulevard
St. Louis, Missouri 63108
You may be asked to provide the following documents, so do not pack them in your checked baggage:
- I-20 or DS-2019
- F-1 or J-1 student visa stamp
- SLU admission letter
- Financial documents
- Receipt for the SEVIS fee (Form I-797 or a printout of your receipt)
- The name and contact information for your international advisor
- Rebecca Bahan, director, firstname.lastname@example.org: Advises students with last names that begin with A-B
- Catherine Donahue, assistant director, email@example.com: Advises students with last names that begin with C-M
- Susan Imbeah, international advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org: Advises students with last names that begin with N-Z
If you arrive in the United States more than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you may be denied entry to the country. Please plan accordingly.
For spring 2022, SLU offers pick up service from Lambert International Airport on January 11 and January 12, 2022. Airport pickup is only available for students who are living in on-campus housing. Most students plan to arrive on one of these days to be greeted at the airport by a SLU staff member and accompanied to campus.
- If you are arriving before 8:30 a.m., after 5 p.m. or on a weekend, please go to Wool Center located on 3545 Lindell Blvd, St Louis, MO 63108. A public safety officer will assist you to find your on-campus housing. (Students living off-campus should plan to stay in a hotel). Saint Louis University does not offer temporary accommodation/housing.
- To schedule your airport transportation, forward your flight itinerary (including the airline confirmation number) to email@example.com, along with your full name and Banner ID number. Once we receive your flight information, you will receive an email confirmation. Please submit airport pickup requests one month prior to your arrival.
- A taxi from the airport to Saint Louis University campus will cost around $50 USD. Taxis for hire are outside the baggage claim area.
- Uber and Lyft both operate from St. Louis International Airport. These transportation services can be accessed via smartphone apps.
- There is also an airport shuttle service, Go Best Express. This is like a shared taxi that will take several passengers at once. They offer a discount to Saint Louis University students. If you use this service, identify yourself as a SLU student, and ask for the discount.
- The MetroLink, St. Louis' light rail system, is a good option if you you do not have much baggage and are not arriving late at night. Get off at the Grand Station stop. Saint Louis University is located a few blocks north.
If you are arriving during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday) go to Des Peres Hall, 3694 West Pine Mall, St. Louis, MO, 63108. Des Peres Hall is the building displaying flags representing SLU's international population.
If you are arriving before 8:30 a.m., after 5 p.m. or on a weekend, go to Wool Center, 3545 Lindell Blvd., St. Louis, MO, 63108. A public safety officer can help you find your on-campus housing (students living off campus should plan to stay in a hotel).
New International Student Orientation
International Student Orientation is held before the start of the fall and spring semesters. You'll have the chance to get acclimated to life on campus and in the U.S. before classes start. You'll register with our office, meet other international students and connect with student ambassadors who will make you feel welcome.
Spring 2022 Orientation dates are Thursday-Friday, Jan. 13-14, 2022. Orientation will be held in person and a detailed schedule will be sent to all newly admitted international students with details on attending the sessions.
In order to activate your I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to complete the check in process on the International Student portal within 30 days of the start date of your I-20.
- Watch the Immigration Registration Presentation
- Navigate to your mySLU account to update your local address in Banner Self Service.
- Scan the below documents to your computer to begin the registration process
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Log into the International Student Portal with your mySLU credentials.
- Navigate to the "Forms" section and then select "New Student International Online Orientation".
- Complete the items in the "Learning Content" and "Signature Documents" sections. Ensure that there is a check in the "Complete" box next to those items.
- Complete your check in by selecting the "Immigration Check In" link in the "Questionnaires" section. This includes uploading the scanned copies of your I-20 or DS-2019, Visa, Passport and I-94.
- Once all of the above has been completed, you can click the submit button to complete your registration.
If you have any questions, please email your international advisor.