Saint Louis University offers on-campus residents high-quality digital cable services in each residence hall, as well as access to Charter SpectrumU App and Echo Dots that are enabled with the answers to SLU-specific questions.
Alexa: Ask SLU
Saint Louis University deployed more than 2,300 Echo Dot smart devices in each on-campus living space. Thanks to a custom SLU skill deployed on each device, SLU students get instant answers to more than 100 questions specific to the University, including:
- Billiken athletics’ games
- Major speakers on campus
- Student events and organizations
- Service and mission opportunities
- Other aspects of student life
SLU is one of a select few universities in the country to offer SpectrumU, which turns your Apple iOS or Android mobile devices into a TV to watch your favorite live broadcasts while connected to the University's main campus wireless networks.
Please keep in mind the following restrictions when using SpectrumU:
- You must be physically located on campus, using SLU Users, SLU Guest, and eduroam.
- You must be using the official SpectrumU App downloaded from the App Store or Play Store.
- Devices that are "rooted" or "unlocked" may not work with SpectrumU.
FAQ About SpectrumU at SLU
Connecting Your TV to Cable at SLU
1. Connect the Coaxial Cables
Connect the coaxial cable from your TV to the cable outlet. Make sure both ends are tight. You must use cords with screw-on connectors
2. Program Your TV
This process can take up to 15 minutes depending on the brand of television. When the scanning finishes, you should see more than 60 channels.
Most QAM tuner televisions have a channel search or auto program function that will automatically scan incoming signals and detect which channels are available. It may be necessary to do a channel search before your TV will allow you to tune to a specific channel.
For issues dealing with your cable television hook-up, contact email@example.com or 314-977-2811. Be prepared to give the make and model of your television and a description of the issue you are having, as well as any troubleshooting steps you have already taken.
Your television must have a digital QAM tuner to be able to view the service. If it doesn't have a tuner, you'll receive an error message or snow may appear.
A QAM tuner allows your television to tune to digital or HD cable channels through Charter. Most HDTVs produced after 2006 have a QAM tuner built in, but not all.
To determine if your television has a QAM turner:
- Search your television online by make and model or reference your TV's owner's manual
for specific model information.
- An example of what the manual may say is "Built-in digital tuner (ATSC/Clear QAM)."
- Additionally, if your TV remote has a decimal or hyphen button for easy tuning or is able to display channels with a decimal or hyphen, such as 5.2 or 5-2, your device may have a QAM tuner.
This is general information regarding integrated QAM tuner enabled TVs. For customer specific model issues, refer to the television manufacturer's website. QAM tuner information should be displayed in the technical specifications information of the device.