Founded in 1764 by Pierre Laclède and Auguste Chouteau, St. Louis remains as vibrant as ever. Home to the 2011 World Series Champions - the St. Louis Cardinals, some of the biggest names in business and the world famous Anheuser Busch Brewery, St. Louis is a hub for people of all ages.
- 2019-2020 Master CalendarPlease note: The Master Calendar will be updated for spring and summer 2020 when Graduate Education deadlines are published.
- M.A. Course of Study (Effective Fall 2017+)
- M.A. in FT with MedFT Concentration Course of Study (Effective Fall 2017+)
- Ph.D. MedFT Suggested Course of Study
- Course Times and Days (Current Schedule)
- Personal and Professional Development Policy
- Policies and Procedures for Preliminary Degree Examination Portfolio (Ph.D.)
- Guidelines for Masters Oral Exam
- Graduation Checklist
Please note: The Graduation Checklist must be completed and given to Administrative Secretary no later than one week before Oral Exam (M.A. students) or dissertation defense (Ph.D. students).
- Notification of Readiness - Doctoral Oral Exam (Dissertation Defense Form)
Please note: Notification of Readiness for Dissertation Defense must be turned in to Graduate Education no less than two weeks before defense. You must schedule your defense early (recommend one month) and obtain signatures in a timely manner.
- Monthly Client Contact Sheet
- Instructions for Completing the Clinical Contact Monthly Report
- Research Courses
This is a list of research courses available from SLU and other local universities, curated by our faculty.
The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) code of ethics states the following in regards to non-discrimination: 1.1 Non-Discrimination.
Marriage and family therapists provide professional assistance to persons without discrimination on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, disability, gender, health status, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or relationship status.
We as a program embrace the spirit and letter of this non-discrimination policy. Therefore, the policies of our Medical Family Therapy program are likewise committed to the following university policy of non-discrimination: Visit the website (https://www.slu.edu/general-counsel/institutional-equity-diversity/index.php) of the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity for information on Saint Louis University’s nondiscrimination and equal opportunity policies.
- Graduate Student Travel Policy
- MFT Pre-Trip Request for Travel
- Graduate Student Travel Request Form
- SLU GSA Travel Forms
Please note: The MFT Pre-Trip Request for Travel and Graduate Student Travel Request Form must be submitted to the program's Administrative Secretary before your trip; after your return, you must also submit your receipts to the Administrative Secretary. Students are responsible for getting all necessary paperwork to the GSA after the trip in order to obtain any financial assistance from them. Program reimbursement is contingent on student applying for GSA conference award. Student must submit copy of that application to administrative secretary before program reimbursement can be processed.
- University Registrar
- University Registrar Forms
- Student Financial Services
- Saint Louis University Graduate Education
- SLU International Student Services
- Pius XII Memorial Library
Please note: our program librarian is Jane Gillespie
- Student Writing Center
- Saint Louis University Career Services
- Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning
Please note: the Certificate in University Teaching Skills may be used to fulfill the program’s teaching portfolio requirement.
- Instructional Media Center
- SLU Student Health and Counseling Center
- Tuition and Fees
Please note: our current tuition rates can be found under School of Medicine - Graduate Programs.
Both master’s and doctoral students have a number of training and educational opportunities outside of the curriculum and clinical training in the program. Students get trained in CITI training (to serve on IRB studies), Learning Space (video software to record sessions), and Foliotek (to upload program-related documents and assignments). Additionally, students in the doctoral program receive training on electronic health records (EHR) upon entering the clinics to provide therapy services.
Faculty (both core and adjunct) in the program have a number of opportunities for continuing education units for licensure, approved supervisor status and informing teaching/research/clinical skills in the program. Faculty are encouraged to engage in research, clinical and scholarship trainings at SLU. Faculty are also required to be compliant with ethics, research and HIPPA training under the university requirements for online trainings.
Faculty and outside supervisors continue to seek seminars, workshops and other continuing education experiences to improve their supervision skills. Supervisors are required to maintain their approved state and/or AAMFT approved supervision status. Supervisors must either take the refresher course or online course provided by AAMFT to be active as an approved supervisor.
Links for Students, Faculty and Supervisors
AAMFT CE Courses
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- AAMFT Code of Ethics
- MO/KAN - Missouri-Kansas MFT Network
- SLAMFT - St. Louis Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- CHFA - Collaborative Family Healthcare Association
- STFM - Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- NCRF - National Council on Family Relations
- Medical Family Therapy