Saint Louis University’s promotion and tenure (P&T) process involves independent internal and external reviews of applicable evaluation standards at multiple levels with recommendations made at each level, ultimately resulting in a decision by the provost.
SLU’s colleges, school, and libraries have faculty P&T or comparable committees; in some units, there are departmental committees as well. Department chairs and deans contribute evaluations on their respective faculty. In addition, external evaluations are sought for tenure track and many non-tenure track cases. All dossiers submitted for consideration for promotion and/or tenure are reviewed by the University Committee on Academic Rank and Tenure (UCART). Dossiers along with the recommendations made at each level are forwarded to the provost for a decision. Adverse decisions at that level may be appealed to the president, whose decision is final.
Section III.F.1-4 of The Faculty Manual contains general norms for advancement for the ranks of instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, and professor. More specific standards are developed and employed in some departments as well as at the college level. These standards are available from the respective units. Section III.E. of the Manual provides general procedural information.
Academic unit-specific P&T questions about the evaluation process or standards should be directed to the pertinent unit. General questions about the P&T process, including the role of the UCART, should be directed to the Office of Faculty Affairs.
- Application Cover Sheet & Vote/Support Summary AY23-24 -- WORD format
- Application Cover Sheet & Vote/Support Summary AY23-24-- PDF Format [**Download and save file, then fill it in and re-save it to retain added text**]
- TT Dean Form
- TT Chair Form
- TT Departmental SLU Colleague Form
- TT Non-Departmental SLU Colleague Form
- TT External Cover Form
- TT External Cover Form (School of Medicine only)
- NTT Dean Form
- NTT Chair Form
- NTT Departmental SLU Colleague Form
- NTT Non-Departmental SLU Colleague Form
- NTT External Cover Form (if applicable per unit standards)
- NTT External Cover Form (if applicable per unit standards; School of Medicine only)
- Emeritus/a Application Cover Form (rev 9-2022)
University Committee on Academic Rank and Tenure (UCART)
- Randy Richter, Doisy College of Health Sciences [Chair]
- Robert Cropf, College of Arts and Sciences
- Hong Xian, College for Public Health and Social Justice
- Anthony Breitbach, Doisy College of Health Sciences
- Jintong Tang, Richard A. Chaifetz School of Business
- Jennifer Giancola, School for Professional Studies
- John James, School of Education
- Anders Walker, School of Law
- Lia Lowrie, School of Medicine
- Ryan McCulla, School of Science and Engineering
- Julie Birkenmaier, School of Social Work
- Teri Murray, Trudy Busch Valentine School of Nursing
- Kate Moriarty, University Libraries