Chester (Chet) Gillis, Ph.D., is Saint Louis University's interim provost and the University's chief academic officer. He reports directly to the president and is responsible for the fulfillment of SLU's mission via the leadership and oversight of all academic, research, scholarship and enrollment management services.
Gillis is responsible for supporting major initiatives advancing SLU's University
Strategic Plan. In collaboration with the University vice presidents and members of
the executive staff, he is responsible for the development and implementation of all
academic strategic plans, as well as the development and adherence to the academic
affairs budget. The building, renovation, and allocation of all academic and research
space is also under his purview.
An eminent theologian, professor, and scholar, Gillis has authored numerous scholarly and widely cited works on Roman Catholicism. He was frequently consulted by national media during the papacies of Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI, and during the conclave and election of Pope Francis.
Gillis joined the faculty of Georgetown University in 1988, and is a former nine-year dean of Georgetown College at that institution. He received his Ph.D. in theology from the University of Chicago, and his masters, Ph.D., and Ph.B. from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium.
Organization of Sciences and Engineering
- Announcement of Working Group to Design Process for University-wide Discussion of College Organization Relating to the Sciences and and Engineering at SLU (November 8, 2018)
Student Course Evaluations
- (September 5, 2018)
University Core Development
- Announcement of Approval of Undergraduate Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) (April 30, 2018)
2017-18 Letters to the SLU Community
- Faculty Salary Study Message (May 2, 2018)
- Campus Climate Message (April 30, 2018)
- First-Year Common Experience Message (April 23, 2018)
- Systems Improvements Message (March 27, 2018)
- NSSE Survey Results Message (Feb. 8, 2018)
- Fall 2017 Mid-Semester Update (Nov. 2, 2017)
Get information on recent faculty compensation studies (available only to those in the SLU community). Available documents:
- Faculty Salary Study (May 2, 2018)
- Faculty Pay Salary Study (May 20, 2016)
- Faculty Compensation Philosophy (2016)
- 2014-2015 Mercer Benchmark Salary Study
Nearly all of the academic units at Saint Louis University report to the provost or members of the provost’s staff.
All academic deans (except the dean of the School of Medicine) report directly to the provost, as do the vice president for Research, the vice president for Enrollment and Retention Management, the director and dean of the Madrid campus, the dean of the University Libraries, and the associate and assistant provosts who comprise the provost’s senior staff.
Additional reporting units include:
- Academic Advising
- Academic Records Revision Committee
- Center for Global Citizenship
- Center for Workforce and Organizational Development
- Charter School Sponsorship
- Distance Education Committee
- Diversity and Community Engagement, Office of
- Honors Program
- Institutional Research, Office of
- INTO Saint Louis University
- Learning Technologies Advisory Committee (LTAC)
- Pre-Professional Programs
- Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning
- Summer At SLU
- University Undergraduate Core Committee (UUCC)