Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Academic Records Revision

 A student's transcript is documentation of their permanent academic record at Saint Louis University. Any discrepancies should be discussed with their advisor or mentor before following SLU's academic records revision process in order to verify that revisions are warranted.  

Retroactive changes to a student's permanent academic record due to documented extenuating circumstances will be reviewed by the Academic Records Revision Committee (ARRC).

Frequently Asked Questions

What process does a student follow to file an appeal?
  • Students will contact their academic advisor or mentor about the academic records revision process and determine if their situation is appropriate for the academic records revision process.
  • A current or former student must submit the Petition for Revision of Academic Record - Form #40 and appropriate supporting documentation (see FAQ below) to their college or school dean’s office.
  • The associate or assistant dean of the college or school will present the petition and supporting documentation at the next scheduled Academic Revision of Records Committee (ARRC) meeting. 
  • Petitions and supporting documentation will be reviewed by ARRC in order to make a decision on accepting the student's request.
    • The committee may request additional information from instructors, academic departments or other Saint Louis University offices.
    • The committee does not accept "character references" from friends or family members.
    • The committee routinely checks the authenticity of documentation. If the committee finds evidence of falsified or forged documents, judicial charges will be brought against the student in accordance with the University's Student Responsibility and Community Standards and, if found guilty, the student will face penalties up to and including expulsion.
  • The student and presenting assistant or associate dean will receive written notification of ARRC's decision within two weeks of a decision. Notification will be sent to the student's University email address or local street address on file with the University.
What type of supporting documentation should I provide with my petition?
What is ARRC?

The Academic Records Revision Committee is a group of faculty and staff representatives that meet monthly during the academic year to review student requests for retroactive changes to their permanent academic records due to documented extenuating circumstances.

What is the ARRC authorized to revise?

The committee is authorized to make a final decision on:

  • Requests for changes to the academic record due to registration errors outside of the current semester.
  • Requests for changes to the academic record from students who have experienced academic difficulty because of documented extenuating circumstances, including serious illness, chronic disability, serious family problems and similar situations.
  • Requests for academic amnesty.
  • Requests for a tuition refund.
  • Requests (supported by the instructor) for a change of grades beyond one year.
  • Requests (supported by the instructor) for appealing an I that has changed to an F.
What is the ARRC not authorized to revise?

The committee has no authority to: 

  • Make decisions regarding academic standing, university or program probation, or university or program dismissal.
  • Make admission or readmission decisions, either to selected majors or programs or to the University.
  • Grant exceptions to financial policies. (For more information, consult the Office of Student Financial Services.)
  • Make decisions on grade appeals. (Grade appeal policies vary by the specific college or school.)
  • Award incomplete grades for courses (Incompletes must be negotiated directly with and approved by the individual instructor).
  • Grant exceptions to major/minor/certificate or college or school requirements for a degree. (The final decision rests with the department, college or school.)
  • Make decisions involving student responsibility and community standards (behavioral) violations. (For more information, consult the dean of students).
  • Alter the academic record of students who have graduated from Saint Louis University. (Such requests are not considered by SLU.)
  • "Clean up" an academic record by selective removal of poor grades. (Such requests are not considered by SLU.)
How long can a student file a Petition for Revision of Academic Record?
A Petition for Revision of Academic Record will only be considered up to one year (12 months) after the end of the term in which the course was taken. (Exception: Academic Amnesty deadlines are dictated by separate policy.)
What happens if a petition is declined?
A student may submit additional documentation and ask the committee to reconsider their petition through the assistant or associate dean of the college or school who brought the original petition to ARRC. The committee will not consider cases for which no new documentation is available.  Further appeals are not permitted.
Will my records be kept private?
Yes, the committee observes strict confidentiality and will not release information about the petition or supporting documentation without the student’s written permission.
How are decisions made?  Who reviews the documentation? 
The ARRC is composed of faculty and staff appointed by the provost. Members are anonymous and students are not allowed to communicate directly with them.  Faculty members, department chairs and deans also see the ARRC petition to provide feedback to the committee.  ARRC will review and make the final determination on the petition.
What impact will this have on my financial aid, visa status, benefits?

Potentially, changes to your academic record resulting from an approved petition may affect visa status, benefits and financial aid.  Please contact any office from the following list that is relevant to your situation to inquire about the potential effects of your petition:

What is the likelihood that an appeal will be approved?

This is very student and situation-dependent. The ARRC process is in place for students who have experienced a significant hardship and can provide documentation to support their case.

In addition to the student’s narrative and supporting documentation, the committee will also consider information from the course instructor, department chair and dean of the school or college the student was enrolled in during the semester for which they are submitting a revision of records request. In addition, the committee may take other factors into account, such as whether a student has submitted petitions for revision of records for another semester and the student’s overall academic record.