The Division of Student Development at Saint Louis University welcomes applicants with a variety of diverse experiences and perspectives, who desire to sharpen their skills and expand their commitment to supporting students in holistic development.
Assistant Vice President for Public Safety
Saint Louis University's national search for its next assistant vice president for public safety is underway.
SLU’s next AVP for public safety will be collaborative, inclusive, innovative and an expert in higher education public safety best practices. We have made strides to better engage our Department of Public Safety colleagues with the campus community, and we expect our future leader will help take that to another level following the department’s move into the Division of Student Development.
We carefully and thoughtfully crafted the expectations of this new leader — as well as the job description — in the job posting. The position profile was drafted collaboratively with many key stakeholders and was shaped by all those who participated in listening sessions earlier this year.
The Search Committee and Process
The search committee is chaired by Daniel Blash, Ph.D., chief diversity officer for the School of Medicine. Our search is supported by J. Scott Derrick and Lynette Lindsey from Spelman Johnson, a leading firm in public safety leadership searches.
- Daniel Blash, Ph.D., Chief Diversity Officer for the School of Medicine (chair)
- Kenya Brumfield-Young, MLS, MSCJ, Assistant professor, Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Samantha Englar, Associate Director, Housing and Residence Life
- Brooks Goedeker, M.S.W., Executive Director, Midtown Redevelopment Corporation
- Aric Hamilton, Junior; Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion, Student Government Association
- Van Harris, Officer, Department of Public Safety
- JP Hasman, Associate General Counsel
- Sheila Hatcher, Investigator, Department of Public Safety
- Kristin Hrasky, Recording Secretary, Staff Advisory Council; Administrative Assistant, Department of Physical Therapy and Athletic Training
- William Johnson, J.D., Dean, School of Law
- Chayce Kenny, Graduate Student; Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion, Graduate Student Association
- Debie Lohe, Ph.D., Special Assistant to the Provost
- Richard Marks, Ph.D., Director, Cross Cultural Center
- Donna Bess Myers, Dean of Students
- David Suwalsky, S.J., Ph.D., Vice President, Mission and Identity
- Tobias Winright, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Health Care Ethics; Associate Professor, Theology
The committee will soon conduct its first review of the candidate pool, which our Spelman Johnson colleagues tell us is already strong. You can expect to hear more information in late October about on-campus interview opportunities with the community for the top three-to-five finalists. We hope to have a new leader named before Thanksgiving.