Are you looking for the college experience before you graduate high school? Saint Louis University's Visiting Young Scholars program offers you a dual-enrollment opportunity to take college classes on SLU's campus while in high school.
Visiting Young Scholars are current high school students who have the aptitude to succeed in 1000/2000 division courses at Saint Louis University. Qualified high school juniors and seniors may sit in SLU courses at the St. Louis campus, Spain campus or online.
This dual-enrollment program bridges the gap between the high school and the college experience. Determining if the courses count toward high school graduation is at the discretion of the high school administration and the responsibility of the family to articulate.
Prospective Scholar Information
If you're ready to accept the challenge of being an early college student with SLU, review the following information and submit an application before the applicable deadline.
The Visiting Young Scholars program is a rigorous college experience where you'll take courses alongside traditional undergraduate students. You’re eligible to apply to enroll into any 1000/2000 level course, if:
- You are entering grades 11 or 12
- Hold a 2.7 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Have parent and high school permission
- Meet the SLU course pre-requisites
- There is available seats in the course section
You can take up to 11 credit hours per semester. While AP credit may satisfy a university's full-time student prerequisite of a course, SLU’s Visiting Young Scholars program does not acknowledge AP credit as satisfactorily meeting a course prerequisite.
The benefits of becoming a Visiting Young Scholar go beyond just college credit. You will also have the opportunity to receive:
- Reduced tuition rate for Saint Louis University undergraduate courses
- A Saint Louis University transcript
- Coursework applicable toward a degree at SLU upon acceptance as a full-time student
- Coursework that is transferable to other colleges and universities
- Access to campus libraries, computer labs, museums, athletic activities, and various social and cultural events
- Access to a college academic advisor to discuss/plan a degree program
The tuition rate is $350 per credit hour. Visiting Young Scholars pay the same lab fees as full-time matriculating students. Due to the discounted tuition, the Visiting Young Scholars program does not offer additional tuition assistance or scholarships.
- Review the SLU course class schedule for available courses during the semester you wish to enroll. VYS students are only eligible for 1000/2000 level courses with remaining enrollment.
- Fill out the Visiting Young Scholar application, including listing the course subject code, course number, section number, course name, and the CRN.
- Submit the application via email to email@example.com.
- You will receive confirmation from the VYS program that your application has been received and is being processed.
- A formal letter will be sent to your personal email of the program's decision of your application. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing.
If you’ve already completed a semester in the Visiting Young Scholars program and are in good standing, you do not need to re-submit application materials.
- Email the VYS office at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, Banner ID, and the CRN(s) for the course(s) you wish to enroll in and for what semester.
- The VYS office will verify instructor approval and confirm your enrollment with a letter emailed to your personal email account.
To search for courses offered at SLU, click here.
Current Scholar Information
Being a high school student in a college course can be overwhelming, but Saint Louis University and the Visiting Young Scholars office is here to help you. Your time as a Visiting Young Scholar is an opportunity to challenge yourself academically, experience the college lifestyle first-hand, and navigate institutional structures.
MySLU is the central hub for online tools at Saint Louis University including accessing your student records, paying your bills, accessing University software, and used to schedule appointments with the Student Success Center.
If you do not know your MySLU information, please email email@example.com to retrieve your information.
If you need a password reset, please contact SLU IT at 314-977-4000, option 1.
You can access and pay your bill online using the Payment Suite in your MySLU account. The Payment Suite is located under the "Tools" tab in the icon with the green dollar bill in the center. For payment deadlines and additional information on how to pay your bill at Saint Louis University, click here.
For inquiries regarding your tuition bill, contact Student Financial Services.
The Visiting Young Scholars program follows the regular academic deadlines of Saint Louis University since the students are actively enrolled in traditional undergraduate courses.
These deadlines are important to know regarding tuition payments in order to avoid late fees or being sent to collections. Additionally, students should be aware of the withdrawal deadlines and tuition refunds for dropping courses.
As a Visiting Young Scholar, Jacob Wierson will serve as your primary academic advisor. Any concerns regarding your participation or coursework should be addressed to Jacob. Additionally, faculty will communicate with your advisor if there are any issues or concerns.
If you wish to meet with a specific program regarding coursework for a future degree plan at SLU, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the program you are interested in and we will facilitate a meeting with the appropriate representative from Saint Louis University.
If you find yourself confused by class material, intimidated by an assignment or just unsure of what is standing between you and the grades you want, the Saint Louis University Student Success Center can help you as a SLU Visiting Young Scholar. Additionally, you can contact your academic advisor for assistance.
Disability Services at SLU exists to support your educational experience by helping you access academic accommodations and services needed to ensure your success.
If you currently have accommodations in your high school coursework such as extra time on a test, an IEP, etc. due to a disability, you will want to reach out to Disability Services to ensure you are eligible for a similar accommodation for your college coursework. The team will work with you, your family, instructors, and the VYS to staff to find reasonable accommodations to ensure your success.
All inquiries received by Disability Services about the availability of reasonable University-related accommodations are kept confidential.
As a Visiting Young Scholar, you are required to complete an online program orientation and submit the orientation review form to the VYS office before you may begin your coursework. The orientation is available online for review at anytime.
As a Visiting Young Scholar, you should receive a copy of the latest handbook upon your official welcome and confirmation into the program. Students are responsible for having read and knowing the policies and procedures in the VYS Student Handbook.
Classroom locations will be updated on your class schedule which can be found on your MySLU account under the "Student" tab.
You can also locate your classes on Banner Self-Service by clicking "Student," then "Registration," then "Student Schedule."
For reference, "North" is the main campus, "South" is the medical center and "Law" is the SLU Law campus located in downtown St. Louis.
Contact Visiting Young Scholars
- Phone: 314-977-3534
- Email: email@example.com