Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

New Student Checklist and Frequently Asked Questions

New students at Saint Louis University should complete the following steps to use SLU Student Health Center services.

Step 1: Confirm Your Health Insurance Coverage
  • Waive or enroll in the University Health Plan (UHP) through Aetna.
  • Investigate the UHP if your out-of-state health insurance does not cover services at the Student Health Center.
Step 2: Complete and Submit Required Immunizations and Screenings   
  • All required immunizations and screening information must be submitted to Student Health through the Vaccine Portal
  • The Vaccine Portal can be found through your MySLU or by navigating to
  • Carefully read the Required Immunizations and Screenings information.
  • Submit your completed immunization records to the Vaccine Portal by August 1 for Fall admission, January 1 for Spring admission, or May 1 for Summer admission.
Step 3: Inform Student Health of Your Health Concerns 
  • If you deal with ongoing medical or mental health issues, let us assist you in your health maintenance plan. Call 314-977-2323 prior to or at the beginning of the school year and make an appointment to see our providers.
Step 4: Reach Out to Student Health With Any Additional Questions
  • If you can’t find the answer to a question on this page, contact us by phone at 314-977-2323 or email at

Student Health Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that is not answered below, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Questions About Insurance

Do I Need Health Insurance?  

Yes. Health insurance is mandatory for all full-time SLU students on campus. A request must be completed online through Aetna Student Health during open enrollment periods to either enroll in or waive the Student Health Insurance offered by the University Health Plan. If no action is taken, you will be automatically enrolled in the University Health Plan.

Do You Take My Insurance?

We bill all insurance companies. However, we recommend that you call your benefits plan coordinator first to see if they will cover our physician services. Please see this information on insurance companies who have contracted with SLUCare SSM, as well as more tips for making sure your coverage is set up to cover you when you need it. If not, some students select the University Health Plan. You are responsible to pay the balance your insurance does not cover. If payment is not received within 120 days from the date of service, a hold will be placed on your registration.

How Do I Get the University Health Plan Insurance Coverage?

Saint Louis University offers health insurance to SLU students for general care, emergency care, hospitalization, visits to specialists, prescription medication and other services.

Learn More About Student Health Insurance From the University Health Plan


Questions About Immunizations

Are My Immunizations Up to Date?

Saint Louis University requires students to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and tetanus, as well as a screening for tuberculosis. A meningitis vaccination is required for all freshmen living in the residence halls unless a waiver is signed. 

Learn More About Required Immunizations and Health Forms

Do I Need a Meningitis Immunization?

There are two meningococcal vaccines available to protect against the five serogroups that cause most meningococcal disease, Meningitis Quadrivalent A,C, Y, W-135 (MenACWY), and serogroup B meningococcal vaccine (MenB).  Men ACWY vaccine is required for all students living in residence halls. If you do not receive the immunization, you must sign a waiver acknowledging that you understand the risks of meningitis and benefits of the vaccine. We also recommend considering the additional Men B vaccine.  It is best to discuss both with your primary care physician.  Both vaccines are available at SHC.

Does the Student Health Center Provide the Flu Vaccine?

Yes. Every school year between October and December flu injections are given.


Questions About Prescriptions

I Am From Out of State. How Do I Refill My Monthly Medications?

Make an appointment with the physician in the Student Health Center who will rewrite the prescription for you to fill at the pharmacy of your choice.


Parents and Family

I’m a Parent. How Do I Get Information on My Sick Student?

In an emergency, parents of a student will be called immediately by the emergency room physician or University officials. Otherwise, the student must have signed a release of information form for the staff at Student Health to release information about them to anyone, including parents.

Do My Parents Need to Know That I Have Used the Services of the Student Health Center?

No. Missouri law states that individuals age 18 and older are legal adults. Therefore, if you want to share information about your medical or mental health services, you need to sign a release of confidential information form (PDF).


Questions About Student Health Services

Can I Receive Allergy Injections at the Student Health Center?

Yes. A private allergist must provide serum and a treatment plan.  This service is available by appointment during regular business hours.

Can I See the Physician Today?

For your convenience, staff physicians are available to see students on an appointment basis on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. However, if there is an urgent situation, we strongly encourage you to walk into our office and speak to a nurse.

Is the Physician Affiliated With Saint Louis University?

Yes. All of our physicians are faculty members of Saint Louis University School of Medicine. Nancy Z. Delaney, M.D., our primary care physician, is board certified in internal medicine. The sports medicine physician is here five days a week. Additional specialties, including gynecology, orthopedics, psychiatry, physical therapy, occupational therapy and dietetics, are available weekly.

Where Can I Get Information About STIs/Alcohol/Drugs/Quitting Smoking/Nutrition/Stress?

There are a number of ways to obtain the information you want on a variety of health topics. We suggest you take a moment to look through the free brochures in the Student Health Center. You can also ask a nurse either by phone or email.

Do You Perform STI Checks?

Yes. The Student Health Center can check for all sexually transmitted infections per physician's order. If you do not have a physician order, you can schedule an appointment with one of our physicians.

Multiple times throughout the year Student Health partners with the City Health Department to offer free STI testing.

Does the Student Health Center Provide Reproductive Wellness Exams?

Yes. It is recommended that all women 18 years of age or older have a gynecological exam yearly. The exam includes a pelvic exam, a pap smear test and a breast exam. A SLUCare SSM gynecologist will perform the examination. An appointment is necessary.

Can I Get a Prescription for Oral Contraceptives at the Student Health Center?

In alignment with Catholic moral tradition, the Saint Louis University Student Health Center does not prescribe oral contraceptives, dispense condoms or provide any other devices for the purpose of preventing pregnancy. Our medical providers are sensitive to issues surrounding sexual and reproductive health. Conversations with providers are held in the strictest confidence. Bound by medical ethics within college health, federal law and the Catholic moral tradition regarding human sexuality, students will receive sound medical advice in order to make their own informed decisions regarding their health and well-being.

If I See the Doctor, Is the Visit Free?

The Student Health Center is a regular fee-for-service physician’s office and will bill your primary insurance company. You may pay your co-payment at the time of service. Charges are based on usual and customary fees in the St. Louis area. Billing questions can be answered by calling 314-977-5050.  If you do not want us to bill your insurance, ask us about our self-pay options. 

Can I Get a Copy of My Medical Records?

Yes. Students who wish to receive a copy of their medical records must complete a release of confidential information form (PDF). Please read the release closely. The Student Health Center adheres to all HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) regulations.


Questions About Hours and Scheduling

What If I Am Sick After Hours or on weekends?

If you are ill, you can call 314-977-2323 24 hours a day, and you will be in contact with the nurse on call to help determine a plan of action. If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 911. We use the services of SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital emergency room.