Saint Louis University’s Law Scholars Program gives incoming freshman who are interested in attending SLU Law a head start.
This program offered through the Office of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Studies helps students explore the legal field early in their college careers through the integration of law-focused activities within general coursework. Examples of Law Scholar activities include courses taught by law school professors, courtroom experiences, and opportunities to work with local attorneys. Law Scholars who successfully complete the program are guaranteed admission to SLU Law following graduation.
Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 3.25, weighted or unweighted, or be placed
in the top 40% of their high school class.
An online application is available in conjunction with the main SLU application. Once accepted into the Law Scholars Program, students must sign and return the invitation to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions via email or mail to Saint Louis University, DuBourg Hall, Room 119, 1 N. Grand Blvd. For more information, contact the Office of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Studies by email or phone at 314-977-2840.
Law Scholars have freedom to declare any major they choose. In addition to major and general graduation requirements, Law Scholars will complete a series of four integrated courses (12 total credit hours) taught by adjunct lawyers and SLU Law faculty. Law Scholars will also create a personalized ePortfolio documenting academic and co-curricular experiences throughout their college careers. A detailed description of these requirements can be found in the Law Scholar requirements.
Program course requirements must be completed by the end of each student's junior year:
- PLS 1000: Introduction to Law
- PLS 2000: Intro to Legal Research & Writing
- Legal Internship
Additional Requirements for Freshmen
- Join the SLU Law Dean of Admission in attending a reception and case study discussion during the fall semester.
- Attend at least one additional pre-law event during the academic year. Students must compose and submit a summary and written reflection of this event via the e-Portfolio.
- Attain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.60 by the end of the academic year. There is not a minimum cumulative GPA requirement pertaining to students' sophomore academic year.
Additional Requirements for Juniors and Seniors
- Select and attend at least two law-related events per academic year (such events may be attended on or off of campus). Students must compose and submit a summary and written reflection of each event via the e-Portfolio.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.70 at the end of both the junior and senior academic years.
All students who have met the requirements of the Law Scholars Program will earn a guaranteed seat in the fall class of Saint Louis University School of Law immediately following graduation, contingent upon:
- Taking the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) and submitting an application to Saint Louis University School of Law through the Law School Admission Council (LSAC).
- Graduating with a cumulative GPA of 3.70 or above