Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Independent and Non-SLU programs

If your heart is set on an international experience that isn’t one of SLU’s approved programs, that’s OK. The process is just a little bit different.

Independent International Experiences

Saint Louis University students participating in short term international programs that are not led by a SLU faculty or staff member are required to register their travel and complete the necessary pre-­departure documents through the Office of International Services. Please make sure to work with your academic unit to determine how the courses you take through this experience will impact your overall academic plan at SLU.

SLU’s Office of International Services requests that all students complete the online travel registration no later than 30 days prior to departure.

If you are proposing travel to a country currently under a U.S. Department of State or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention travel warning, please carefully review and adhere to the Saint Louis University Student Travel Warning Policy. Please contact the Office of International Services for additional information.

Non-SLU-­Approved Programs

You can enroll in these programs after receiving the appropriate pre­approvals. But make sure to note that Saint Louis University scholarships do not apply to non-­SLU programs, and coursework from these programs is considered transfer coursework and will not factor into your SLU GPA.

1. Log in to your Billiken Abroad account and register your travel. Non-SLU summer study abroad students will also log in to Billikens Abroad and register their travel.

2. Complete the Petition for Off-­Campus Undergraduate Enrollment.

3. Complete the Petition for a Leave of Absence.

4. Work directly with your academic advisor and each academic department where you’d like to transfer in credit to make sure your coursework will transfer.

5. If you have any scholarships, complete the Scholarship Deferment Request. If you receive other aid, your financial counselor can help you determine if you’re eligible to continue receiving that aid while abroad.