Skip to main content
MenuSearch & Directory

Sponsored Student Admission

Saint Louis University and the Office of International Services welcome sponsored students. 

We are eager to help you make the most of your time here SLU.  The Office of International Services will serve as your primary point of contact here at Saint Louis University in regard to your sponsorship.  We offer a variety of services to sponsored students and their sponsors to facilitate your course of study here at SLU.

Advising and Staff

As an international sponsored student, you will have a designated advisor within the Office of International Services who will serve as your primary contact for immigration advising, matters related to your sponsorship, pre-arrival information, orientation services, cross-cultural events, and referral to Saint Louis University resources.

Please consult with your academic advisor regarding issues related to your academic program of study, program requirements, and support in meeting your academic goals.

Sponsored Student Program Director
Bert Barry, Ph.D.
Des Peres Hall, Room 102

Enrollment and Registration

Maintain Full-time Status

It is important to make sure that you maintain registration as a full-time student and maintain your immigration requirements each semester. It is also important for you to know and understand if your sponsor has any additional requirements necessary to maintain your sponsorship, such as limits for online courses, off-campus enrollment, and/or sponsorship for summer or winter sessions.

Online Courses

Immigration requirements limit the number of online courses a student is eligible to take each semester.  Many sponsors, however, do not allow and will not pay for any courses that are taught online.  It is important to check with both your sponsor and the Office of International Services before enrolling in online courses.

Off-Campus Enrollment

Many sponsors require pre-approval before they will commit to funding enrollment in a course taken at a college or university that is not your primary site of enrollment.  Please check with your sponsor before enrolling in a course at another institution.

Summer and Winter Sessions

Many sponsors require pre-approval before they will commit to funding a course that is taken during a winter or summer session. Please check with your sponsor before enrolling in a summer or winter course to assure you understand your financial obligations. 

Billing and Letters of Financial Guarantee

Saint Louis University provides third-party billing services for sponsored students and will invoice your sponsor directly for your tuition, mandatory fees and other expenses included within the terms of your sponsor’s Letter of Financial Guarantee.

Official Letter of Financial Support for Immigration Documents

Upon admission, your sponsor will issue a document used for admission purposes, which will allow the Office of International Services to prepare and send your immigration documents.  This letter should be sent directly to the Office of Admission. Contact Bert Barry for information on letter requirements. 

Letter of Financial Guarantee

Upon enrollment, you are responsible for sending the Official Financial Support Letter directly to the Office of Student Financial Services. Students are required to make sure the date listed on the form covers the semester. If not, the student will need to send in a new document. 

Letter of Financial Guarantee for Extended Study

Should you need to extend your academic program beyond the original end date, you must meet with your academic advisor to get the extension approved. This approval will be sent to you and the Office of International Services so that your immigration documents can be extended. You will need to request a new Letter of Financial Support to cover the extended period of study and have this document sent directly to the Office of Student Financial Services.

Student Accounts and Additional Student Fees

As a SLU student, you are ultimately responsible for the charges to your SLU student account. Please remember that your sponsor may not be billed for all charges to your student account (for example: meal plans, parking, library fines). Please remember to monitor your student account regularly through and pay any bills in a timely fashion. If you do not make payments on time, you could have a hold placed on your account which could delay your course registration or release of your transcript.

Document Requests

Sponsored students may request a variety of different letters or documents from Saint Louis University to help maintain their sponsorship. Below you will find a list of the most commonly requested documents. Please review the list and complete the appropriate request form. If you require a document that is not on the list, please email Dr. Bert Barry for additional assistance and provide detailed information regarding your document request.

Transcript Request 

Transcript requests are typically processed within 7-10 days. Transcript requests must be submitted in writing with an original student signature through the transcript request form, Banner Self-Service, or submitted in person to the Office of the University Registrar. Please review additional information and instructions on the Office of the Registrar webpage.

Enrollment Verification 

Official verifications of enrollment are available and free of charge from the Office of the University Registrar either through or in-person. Please review additional information and instructions on the Office of the Registrar Verifications webpage.

State ID or Driver's License Letter 

To apply for a state ID or a driver’s license, you will need to present a letter from the Office of International Services. Please complete the online form to request a letter from the Office of International Services. Please keep in mind it will take 48 hours to process your letter, and each letter is valid for only 30 days from the date of your request, so please plan appropriately.

Social Security Letter 

If you are applying for a Social Security number, you will need to submit a letter of employment or assistantship to the Office of International Services (OIS). This letter must follow a required format and be printed on department letterhead. OIS will then generate a letter for you to take to the Social Security Administration office. Additional information may be found on the OIS webpage. Please note that not every international student requires a Social Security number. 

Special Letter or Requests for Sponsored Students

Please complete this online form and email Rebecca Bahan at to request additional letters or documents that may be helpful or required to maintain your sponsorship. Please provide as much information as possible, relevant to your letter request, to assure that we are able to complete your requested letter without additional delays. 

This form provides requests for letters, including:

  • Online Course Enrollment
  • Summer/Winter or Off-Campus Course Enrollment
  • Change of Major
  • Addition of Major or Minor
  • Academic Progression
  • Scholarship Extension
  • Tutoring
  • Conference Attendance
  • Other

Please note that some letter requests may require the Office of International Services to collaborate with your academic advisor prior to completion. Please allow five business days for the Office of International Services to complete your letter request. All letters may be picked up at the front desk of the Office of International Services, in Des Peres Hall, room 102.