COVID-19 Update: Fall 2020 End of Semester Update
June 30, 2020
Dear Saint Louis University community,
In late May, President Pestello announced an early start to the fall semester to allow more in-person instruction before a potential second wave of COVID-19. That announcement sought input from faculty, staff, students and parents on two options for how to end the semester.
After weighing your feedback and the many conversations we have had with student and faculty leaders, we have determined that final exams for the fall will be administered remotely from Monday, Nov. 30 through Friday, Dec. 4. More specifically:
- Classes conclude on: Tuesday, Nov. 24.
Study days: Wednesday, Nov 25 to Sunday, Nov. 29.
Students living on campus will return home during these days until the start of the spring semester.
- Final exams take place: Monday, Nov. 30 through Friday, Dec. 4.
- Final exams will be administered: Online
We feel strongly that this option is best for our students to succeed in what will be a highly unusual semester for them. This option provides students more time to study for exams and to prepare final presentations, papers, and projects. It also allows more time for faculty to achieve all the learning objectives they have for their students, whether they are in the classroom, lab, studio or clinic.
Again, your input was instrumental in this, so thank you for taking the time to share. As is always the case when weighing two options, those who favored early exams are, undoubtedly, disappointed. We understand. The extra in-person class and study time were a common theme among those advocating for the path we are taking, and we appreciate your understanding that student success is — and will continue to be — our top priority.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on campus (or online) this fall.
Chet Gillis, Ph.D.
Michael Lewis, Ph.D.
Interim Provost Designate
Previous Updates to the SLU Community
- June 29 (Fall Safeguards)
- June 17 (Fall Planning)
- June 3 (Commencement Rescheduled)
- May 29 (Student Development Updates)
- May 29 (Reflecting on Fall Changes)
- May 26 (Earlier Start for Fall)
- May 26 (Special Circumstances Relief Application)
- May 15 (Return to Work Guidance)
- May 14 (Test-Optional Admission)
- May 12 (Fall 2020 Planning)
- May 6 (CARES Act Funding Reminder)
- May 4 (SLUCare Budget)
- May 4 (Budget Next Steps)
- April 23 (Budget)
- April 16 (Extension of Stay-at-Home Orders)
- April 14 (Summer Courses and Camps)
- April 10 (Video/The Light of SLU Shines Bright)
- April 7 (Tradition and Opportunity for this Holy Week)
- April 5 (Taking Care of Our Own)
- April 3 (Heading into the Weekend)
- April 3 (Grading Policy Changes)
- April 2 (Commencement)
- March 30
- March 27
- March 26
- March 25
- March 24
- March 23
- March 22
- March 21
- March 20
- March 19
- March 18
- March 17
- March 16 (Evening)
- March 16
- March 15
- March 14
- March 13 (Evening)
- March 13
- March 12 (Evening)
- March 12
- March 11
- March 10
- March 3
- March 3 (Parents)
- February 4
- January 30
- January 27