Disability and Medical Accommodations
Saint Louis University places a very high priority on providing reasonable disability and medical accommodations in our residence halls and on-campus apartments. To make a request for housing accommodations, register with the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources and supply any necessary documentation to their office. Disability services will make a recommendation to housing and residence life staff regarding your housing accommodation needs.
Transgender, Gender Nonconforming and Gender Diverse Students
Saint Louis University is dedicated to espousing a spirit of respect, compassion and sensitivity for all students. That includes a commitment to providing safe, comfortable, and supportive living environments for all, including those whose gender identity and/or expression differs from the gender assigned to them at birth.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life’s policies regarding housing assignments are guided by cura personalis, or "care of the whole person." Consistent with those values, Housing and Residence Life operates by the following standards:
Transgender, gender non-conforming and non-binary students have the option to:
- Indicate in the housing application the gender their assignment will be based upon
- Live with students who share their gender identity or who are affirming of their gender identity
- List their preferred name and gender identity on the housing contract in a text box included to provide additional information. Students can also change their student information via the Office of the Registrar.
- Match with their preferred roommate by sharing their Banner ID during the housing registration and selection process. New students receive Banner IDs upon enrollment and prior to starting the housing registration process.
If a student needs additional assistance, they may contact Housing and Residence Life for guidance in finding a housing assignment or roommate by contacting reslife@SLU.edu.
Housing assignments for students are guided by the following values:
- Respect for and affirmation of the student's gender identity and/or expression
- Prioritized attention to the student's physical safety and emotional health
- Enhancing the student's opportunity for success at St. Louis University by finding the best match between the student's needs and the options available
If you would like to discuss your housing options, please contact one of the following staff members:
- Dan Anderson, Assignments Coordinator
- Lauren Davis, Associate Director of Housing Operations and Facilities
It is important for you to inquire about your housing options as early in the process as possible, while the widest range of options is available. This process is confidential. If you have already completed a housing contract with SLU and indicated that your gender identity falls into this area, you will be contacted directly to discuss your housing placement.