Associated General Contractors
The Department of Planning and Construction was recognized as a Keystone Award Finalist by Associated General Contractors for the Center for Global Citizenship project completed in 2013. The award celebrates construction excellence, using criteria to evaluate the project's complexity, site safety, innovation, team communication, diversity, community benefit and value engineering.
Association for Leadership in Educational Facilities
The Association for Leadership in Educational Facilities (APPA) selected Saint Louis University's Division of Facilities Services as a recipient of the 2014 Effective and Innovative Practices Award for Strategic Planning and Culture Change Practice, Improving Waste Management, and In-House Construction Program.
Growing Green Awards
The Department of Facilities Planning and Construction received the nomination for the Growing Green Awards - Emerging Leader award because of sustainable in repurposing the West Pine Gym into the Center for Global Citizenship.
The USGBC-Missouri Gateway Chapter provides the award to recognize the individuals, groups and organizations actively transforming the built environment. The project challenged the department with maintaining the allure of classic St. Louis architecture while championing green building practices.
RCGA Green Business Challenge
- 2016 - Star Circle of Excellence Recipient
- 2015 - Star Circle of Excellence Recipient
- 2014 - Star Circle of Excellence Recipient
- 2013 - Circle of Excellence Recipient
- 2012 - Circle of Excellence Recipient
Saint Louis University joined the St. Louis Green Business Challenge as an inaugural member in January of 2010. The challenge was designed to encourage member institutions to adopt sustainable business practices that improve energy efficiency and indoor air quality, reduce waste and water consumption, and increase clean transportation options.
Saint Louis University has placed on Sierra Magazine's "Cool Schools" green ranking list. The magazine, put out by the Sierra Club, ranks "American colleges and universities according to their environmental practices, green initiatives, and caliber of sustainability-oriented education."
SLUstainability Wall of Fame
Stop by and take a look at our accolades for campus sustainability on the second floor of the Wool Center, Room 226.
- Green Ideas Achievement Award: Awarded for Compton/Olive and Laclede parking garages lighting retrofit.
- PatCraft Carpet: Saint Louis University's commitment to sustainability through the installation of EcoWorx "cradle-to-cradle" certified carpet throughout campus was recognized.
- Ameren UE: SLU's dedication to "learning outside the classroom" through our participation in the Village Electric Competition in 2011 was recognized.
- Waste Management: Commemoration of the launch of Single Stream recycling with Waste Management in July 2009.
- Innovative Facilities Solutions : SLU earned the 2010 Environmental Stewardship Award for lighting upgrades performed in the Hickory garage.
- RecycleMania 2011: Excellence Award for Leadership
- Buyers Industrial Group, LLC.: Recognition for installation of Vending Miser in 2010.
- Midwest Recycling Company: SLU's ongoing commitment to diverting waste and keeping hazardous components from landfills through the recycling of electronics, light bulbs and ballasts, appliances, along with all other e-waste and universal waste, was recognized.
- Green Sustainability Award: SLU was recognized by Murphy Construction in partnership with Laclede Gas for reducing
energy consumption by 1,813,580,211 BTU through boiler tune-ups and gas energy audits
on North campus (reduction is equivalent to planting 4,421 trees or reducing carbon
footprint by 212,188 lbs CO2).
SLU has also received the Green Sustainability Award for installation of energy saving Vent Stack Dampers on boilers throughout North campus (equivalent to planting 1,163 trees or reducing carbon footprint by 55,824 lbs CO2).
- BioLogix Sustainability Award: BioLogix acknowledged Saint Louis University in 2012 for utilizing sustainable technologies to eliminate environmental wastes through bio-augmentation.
- Furniture and Metal to Food: Certificate of Recognition in 2013 for ranking among the top ten contributors by diverting 129,877 pounds of waste, from area landfills.
- Tork: Certificate of recognition for choosing to use SCA's 100 percent recycled, third-party certified, Tork products was awarded in 2012.
Saint Louis University was a Charter Participant in the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education's (AASHE) Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Reporting System (STARS). SLU currently uses the Data Collector Tool to share annual sustainability information with Sierra Club and Princeton Review.
STARS Silver Rating (2015)
STARS Bronze Rating (2013)
St. Louis Council of Construction Consumers
Best practices in the construction industry were recognized by the St. Louis Council of Construction Consumers (SLCCC) in 2013.
Saint Louis University shared honors with Clayco and the Lawrence Group for the expansion and renovation of a 47-year-old office building to accommodate the School of Law. The $32 million project made use of constructability, front-end planning, and team building best practices to complete the project. Construction included the addition of a twelfth floor and installation of large structural steel beams that were fabricated off-site, staged on a small project site, hoisted through a small window opening and spliced together inside the building.
Tree Campus USA
Tree Campus USA - SLU has been designated as an official Tree Campus USA. SLU's Tree Campus USA program contains the five standards that are required for certification: establishment of a Tree Campus advisory team, a tree care plan, dedicated annual expenditures, Arbor Day observance and completion of a service learning project.