Saint Louis University offers full-time, benefits eligible faculty and staff medical insurance as core coverage and dental and vision insurance as voluntary coverage.
United Healthcare (UHC) is the University's administrator of medical plan benefits. Saint Louis University offers employees two medical plan options:
- Qualified High Deductible Health Plan (QHDHP) with potential additional savings through the Health Savings Account (HSA)
- PPO Plus Plan
When choosing a plan, consider your anticipated health and financial needs and account for all the costs involved including premiums, deductibles, and copays. Express Scripts (ESI) is the University's administrator of pharmacy benefits under the medical plans. For prescription drug cost information, you can search drug prices though the ESI Price Transparency Tool. If you sign up for the QHDHP Plan, you will also be eligible to participate in the Health Savings Account (HSA) through Optum Bank.
The 2023 Open Enrollment Guide provides additional information on the plans. If you need assistance selecting a plan, you can utilize ALEX®. It is your personal virtual benefits counselor/assistant to help you select the best medical plan for you and your family. Any information you enter into ALEX® is confidential.
As a new full-time employee, your benefits are effective as of your date of hire. Your elections must be submitted with 31 days of your hire date. If you do not enroll or complete changes within 31 days of the qualifying event (hire date), you will need to wait until the next open enrollment period. If applicable, please add any dependents in Workday within the 31-day enrollment widow. See additional information on dependent eligibility. Submit your benefits elections in Workday at your earliest availability to allow access to the coverage elected.
Once enrollment is submitted and approved in Workday, UHC and ESI insurance cards are issued separately via mail within 10 business days. For UHC, when accessing your account for the first time, you will need to register on the website using your member ID or Social Security Number to create a log-in. You can contact UHC at 800-382-4259 or visit the UHC website. You can contact ESI at 888-778-8755 or visit the ESI website.
UnitedHealthcare is committed to Transparency in Coverage Rule compliance by making MRFs available for all UnitedHealthcare commercial platforms, pricing structures and plan designs at the appropriate time. UnitedHealthcare is also committed to helping self-funded customers comply with this new rule and will create and publish MRFs where UnitedHealthcare has access to the data, including integrated customer-specific provider contracting arrangements (GSP, CSP). MRFs will be posted on transparency-in-coverage.uhc.com.
The Saint Louis University employee medical plan is a three tier network:
- Tier 1 is for services received by SLUCare physicians and at SLUCare facilities, as well as physicians employed by SSM Health Medical Group. Only providers who are employed by SSM Health Medical Group are classified as Tier 1. When searching for providers on SSM Health Group's website, only those who are listed with a "SSM Health Medical Group" description will be covered by United Healthcare as a Tier 1 provider.
- Tier 2 is for services received by United Healthcare (UHC) contracted physicians, hospitals and ancillary services, such as BJC and clinics, LabCorp and hospital-based facility services and laboratories.
- Tier 3 is for services received at non-UHC contracted physicians, hospitals and ancillary services and therefore out-of-network.
Looking for a provider? Here's how.
- Visit the United HealthCare website to complete a UHC nationwide network physician search.
- Find a UHC mental health or substance use provider or facility, discover community and work-life resources near you, and quickly and confidentially connect to expert guidance regarding conditions and situations that concern you at www.liveandworkwell.com.
- SLUCare physicians can be found by visiting their website.
- SSM physicians, including pediatricians, can be found by visiting their website.
- MYCare is a partnership between the Benefits Office and the SLUCare Department of Family and Community Medicine to offer an enhanced wellness program exclusively for our faculty, staff and family members. The program is ideal for those who recognize the value of protecting their health and welcome the support of the health professionals best equipped to help. It is an excellent option for those who don't have a primary care physician, want to change doctors, or have chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension or weight problems. Contact MYCare for more information at 314-977-3500, email@example.com or on their website.
- Physical therapists serve patients who are experiencing symptoms which affect their ability to participate in the community, their employment, and/or recreation. The faculty and staff of the Saint Louis University Program in Physical Therapy provide physical therapy services at a number of locations within the SLU community. In the majority of cases, a physician referral is necessary to access physical therapy services.
- Outpatient services are available at the Marchetti West Clinic. Staffed entirely by staff and faculty of the Program in Physical Therapy, this location is conveniently located at 3518 Laclede Ave St. Louis, MO 63103. You can contact them at 314-977-7419.
- In order to provide better access to mental health providers, Saint Louis University Benefits has partnered with Psych Care Consultants, L.L.C. in order to provide employees and their families with additional choices in providers.
Delta Dental is the University's administrator of dental benefits. Saint Louis University offers employees two dental plan options:
- Flex Plan: Provides the highest level of benefits. It offers adult and child orthodontia.
- Basic Plus Plan: Provides a lower level of benefits. It offers child orthodontia only.
To search for a dentist in network, visit the Delta Dental website and select "Find a Provider." For the Flex plan choose "Delta Dental Premier" and for the Basic Plus plan choose "Delta Dental PPO."
Once enrollment is submitted and approved in Workday, Delta Dental insurance cards are sent via mail within 10 business days. You can contact Delta Dental at 314-656-3001 or visit the Delta Dental website.
Vision Service Plan (VSP) is the University's administrator of vision benefits. They provide access to coverage for eye exams, contacts, frames and lenses. Saint Louis University's VSP group number is #30051106.
Members are not required to carry or produce a vision card for services at any VSP provider. Members choose a VSP provider and let them know they have VSP coverage. The doctor's office will request the name of the member and/or patient name, the last four digits of the member's ID (their SSN), and VSP will take care of the rest.
You can contact VSP at 1-800-877-7195 or visit the VSP website.