Respondus is a tool for creating and managing quizzes/exams that can be printed to paper or directly published to a Blackboard Learn course at Saint Louis University.
How to Get the Respondus Software
For a University-owned computer: Contact the IT Service Desk to request Respondus.
For a personal computer: Follow the instructions on the ITS Software Downloads page.
- Operating System: Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP*
- Memory: 32 MB RAM minimum
- Hard Disk Space: 10 MB of free hard disk space for program files
- Monitor: 1024x768 or 1280x720 minimum resolution
- Blackboard Access: Instructor or TA access to each Blackboard course you wish to create tests in.
* Mac OS X users can run Respondus using Windows emulation software.
Configuring Respondus to Connect Blackboard Learn
When you have Respondus installed on your computer, the connection settings to the SLU Blackboard server are not included. The first time you publish a test, you will need to complete the following steps.
- Open Respondus and create or import a test.
- Click on the "Preview & Publish" tab at the top of the Respondus screen.
- Click the "Publish to Blackboard" tab on the left navigation panel.
- Click the "Publish Wizard" button on the "Preview and Publish" page. The Publish Wizard will appear in a popup window.
- On item two of the wizard there will be no server selected. Click the down arrow and click "Add New Server."
- The "Add New Server Settings" popup window will appear and "Yes, Check for Preconfigured Server Settings" will be selected. Click the "Next" button.
- The "Preconfigured Server Setting Wizard" popup box will appear. In the first section (enter a name to describe this Blackboard server) box, add a name like "SLU Blackboard."
- In section two (enter your login information for the Blackboard server) enter your SLU Net ID and password (the same one you use to log into mySLU).
- Check "Save my User Name and Password on This Computer" if you do not want to login to every time you publish a test.
- In section three, "Run Connection Test" is selected. Click the "Next" button. A new popup box will appear and the last thing listed should be "Connection Test: Completed Successfully."
- Click the "Next" button.
Training and Tutorials
- Creating and Formatting Questions with Respondus
Learn how to create and format questions with Respondus, including how to add images and equations.
- Importing Questions from Word with Respondus
This video shows how to import assessment questions from a word processor document.
- Publishing an Assessment to a Blackboard Course
See how to publish an assessment directly to the Blackboard Learn course management system using Respondus.
- Quick Start with Respondus Sheet
Learn how to use the edit menu, print an exam or randomize questions in online exams.
- Using the Respondus Exam Wizard
The Wizard makes it easy to create exams using a publisher test bank or other Respondus files.
- Using Publisher Test Banks with Respondus
The leading textbooks in higher education have test banks available for use with Respondus 4.0. Learn how to request and access a test bank.
Need Help? Support for Respondus
Contact the ITS Help Desk at 314-977-4000, firstname.lastname@example.org or help.slu.edu.