Learn about the operational details necessary to work safely with radioactive materials and ionizing radiation at Saint Louis University. Below you will find institutional and regulatory requirements, procedures, forms and other helpful resources.
Area Contamination Surveys
Area contamination surveys are required to be performed in accordance with established procedures.
Radiation dosimeters monitor the exposure of members of the Saint Louis University community that utilize radionuclides or machine-produced radiation. Applications and forms are available to initiate and maintain this service. Contact the radiation safety specialist for further information or to receive a series code if your department does not already utilize this service.
- SLU OSHA Notice to Employees
- Dosimeter Application
- Dosimeter Deletion Form
- Dosimeter Reactivation Form
- Damaged or Missing Dosimeter Report
- Spare Dosimeter Request
- Spare Assignment Form
- Declaration of Pregnancy
- Badge Coordinator Update
Emergency Spill Procedures
Access this information for detailed emergency procedures for radionuclides. Contact radiation safety immediately in any case of personnel contamination, if assistance is necessary for decontamination or for additional information.
Notice to Employees (NRC-3 Form)
Survey meters (e.g., geiger counters) are required to be calibrated yearly (not to exceed 12 months) or following any repair.
- Survey meters will be accepted for calibration in Doisy R-323 by appointment only. Survey meters will not be accepted at the EHS main office.
- Please contact Lance Peters, Radiation Safety Specialist (314-977-6894 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange for calibration. If he is unavailable, please contact Kevin Ferguson, Associate Radiation Safety Officer (314-977-6896 or email@example.com).
- If your meter has already been calibrated by an outside vendor within past 12 months, please forward a copy of the calibration certificate to Kevin Ferguson, Environmental Health and Safety, C305 Caroline Hall.
- To request a loaner survey meter, complete the Loaner Survey Meter Request Form.
- Clinical Radiation Safety Training: Contact Kevin Ferguson, Associate Radiation Safety Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule radiation safety training involving the clinical use of radioactive materials or machine produced radiation (X-ray, fluoroscopically guided procedures, accelerators, etc.).
- Research Use of Radioactive Materials - Radiation Safety Orientation for Non-Human Use (Mandatory): All individuals (permit holders, faculty, technical staff, students, etc.) must attend the Saint Louis University radiation safety orientation class and pass a written and practical exam prior to any use of radioactive materials. Contact Kevin Ferguson, Associate Radiation Safety Officer, at email@example.com to schedule training.