See what SLU offers that no one else can
Any undergraduate student at SLU, in any major of study, is guaranteed a semester
(or summer term) at SLU-Madrid.
Unlike many other American universities, we don’t just have a study abroad program — we have an international campus in Madrid, Spain. With study abroad at SLU-Madrid, you can stay on track to graduate on time and study at approximately the same cost as studying at our St. Louis campus.
This is SLU's global edge in action. Hundreds of Billikens broaden their worldview and increase their employment prospects after graduation, all without sacrificing access to vital student support services, English language instruction or SLU’s world-class faculty.
Madrid by the números
additional tuition cost to study at SLU-Madrid while enrolled at our U.S. campus
of SLU majors accommodate some type of Madrid experience
Billikens attend SLU-Madrid each year
accredited courses taught in English every semester
Hear from our students
Frequently Asked Questions
Saint Louis University has had an accredited campus in Madrid, Spain, since 1967.
Instead of studying at a partner university or in a single building in a city, you’ll
be at a Saint Louis University campus with access to more than 100 faculty members,
as well as professional staff devoted to your academic success and student experience.
You’ll also benefit from SLU’s more than 50-year relationship with the city of Madrid, taking advantage of cultural and study opportunities you simply can’t find anywhere else.
Explore SLU Madrid
Saint Louis University is dedicated to making a study abroad experience in Madrid accessible to every undergraduate student. Your academic tuition scholarships, federal loans and grants transfer to Madrid, as do tuition remission, tuition exchange and FACHEX benefits.
This policy allows studying abroad to remain affordable for undergraduate SLU students and encourages every Billiken to participate.
While many opportunities exist to completely immerse yourself in Spanish culture while at SLU-Madrid, more than 200 classes each semester are taught in English. In a campus community comprised of students from across the globe, English is common — you’ll have no problem communicating on campus or, in most situations, the city at large.
Saint Louis University has an entire staff in our St. Louis, Missouri, Office of International Services, as well as a team in Madrid, Spain, dedicated to ensuring your study abroad experience goes smoothly.
Hundreds of SLU students study at our Madrid campus each year, so the staff can assist with every aspect of living and studying abroad, including timing your travel, academic goals, accommodating a disability and securing a passport and visa.
SLU-Madrid’s Office of Student Affairs also sponsors day and weekend excursions.
Most students who study abroad at SLU-Madrid live with a host family (señora), enjoying a welcoming immersion in Spanish culture. SLU-Madrid host families have years of experience working with American and international students — many students say it’s like having a home away from home.
If you study abroad while also planning on living on SLU’s St. Louis campus for part of the year, the Department of Housing and Residential Life will work with you to ensure a seamless transition.
5 Reasons to Study in Madrid as Part of Your Undergraduate SLU Experience
- SLU-Madrid isn’t just a program; it’s a campus. Your guaranteed semester at SLU-Madrid will provide you with many of the same resources you have at home, including support services and SLU's world-class faculty.
- SLU makes it financially seamless for students to study at SLU-Madrid. Your scholarships and other financial aid all still apply, and some costs — such as room and board — are actually lower in Madrid.
- At SLU-Madrid, you’re still a Billiken. You’ll feel at home and be with fellow Saint Louis University students from around the globe, all while experiencing an entirely new city and culture.
- We’re here to help every step of the way. SLU has staff dedicated to removing barriers to travel, including logistics, passport application and the visa process.
- Immerse yourself fully in Madrid or choose a new international destination practically every weekend. Madrid’s location makes it easy to explore Spain and other European destinations.
Don't Miss Your Chance
Hundreds of SLU students study abroad each year — will you be one of them? If you've already been accepted to SLU, the first step to becoming a global Billiken is depositing for fall 2023. Have questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 1-800-758-3678.