DocuSign Usage Guidelines
DocuSign is a tool that allows designated members of the campus to create and route electronic documents for signature. With DocuSign, staff or faculty can upload an electronic document and send it out for signature. These usage guidelines outline encouraged uses of the DocuSign tool for University business and uses that must be avoided as they create unnecessary risk to the campus.
These guidelines apply to anyone using a Saint Louis University account with the DocuSign system. Use is subject to these requirements and to the Appropriate Use Policy, which can be located on the SLU ITS website.
The primary focus of these guidelines is to encourage appropriate and acceptable use of the DocuSign enterprise resource, consistent with Saint Louis University’s core mission and institutional priorities.
Terms and Guidelines
- Contracts: All contracts must go through Agiloft Contract Management system first and not directly through DocuSign.com. For questions about Agiloft, please contact Business Services.
- DocuSign is used to route and sign documents, not for storage and retention.
- Form Ownership: Do not assume a form may be used in DocuSign without first confirming with the form owner or department.
- It is recommended that you consult with your DocuSign Unit Coordinator (DUC) before sending your first document. If your area needs to appoint a DUC, please contact Katy Wittwer.
- DocuSign users must review training prior to sending documents through DocuSign and consult with a DocuSign Unit Coordinator (DUC) prior to sending your first document.
Do not use your University DocuSign account for personal use.
In order to maintain the security of DocuSign, never share your username and password.
Please read the Disclosures found in your DocuSign account under “PREFERENCES” or under the “MORE” tab prior to signing.
Your electronic signature, with DocuSign, is a legally binding signature.
Completed documents will be stored for 90 days, then they will be removed from the system. Unsent documents in your account will be stored in DocuSign indefinitely as long as the account is still active. Please consult your DUC regarding DocuSign Retrieve software that can help automate download and storage.
Learn about envelope purging, an automatic process to remove documents from completed or voided envelopes after a set retention period.
For questions or more information about the University document retention policy, contact Compliance at 314-977-3952 or firstname.lastname@example.org.