Business Services aims to ensure that reliable, qualified, ethical and financially sound vendors are utilized for all purchases and services. We support efforts to maintain a mutually beneficial and open working relationship with suppliers and contractors.
When considering new vendors, a rigorous research effort is undertaken to make sure the company is reputable and will serve in the best interest of the institution. An ongoing analysis of existing vendors is also performed to ensure Saint Louis University is continually receiving the utmost customer service levels and pricing benefits.
Purchasing maintains active lists of new companies interested in doing business with Saint Louis University. All inquiries and sales calls should be not directed to individual business units, but to the Purchasing unit instead.
When it is determined that there is a need to add new services or suppliers, departments should enter their supplier request into Billiken Buy. Business Services will review the request and, if approved, will send the vendor an invitation to register to Billiken Buy. A request for proposal will often be utilized for larger purchases or when setting up a new contract for services and are typically distributed electronically to initiate a bid.
The University does take into women-owned business and minority-owned business statuses in consideration when making vendor selections.
Requirements of University Vendors
Purchasing is charged with the responsibility of identifying vendors that the University as a whole is able to utilize for their departmental needs.
A University vendor is one that meets the following criteria:
- Provides quality goods or services to the University
- Provides consistent and competitive pricing that is deemed a good value to the University
- Conducts itself in a professional manner and one that has a good working relationship with Purchasing and its partnering departments
- Initiates and proactively participates in open communication
- Fosters an excellent working partnership with the University
- Provides quarterly updates and reports data as requested to the Purchasing
- Does not present a conflict of interest