Welcome to Blue Prints: Saint Louis University's Managed Print Services (MPS) program. Blue Prints represents a comprehensive solution for managing printing costs, including toner and other supplies. The Blue Prints program also ensures a higher level of customer service, increased document security and supports the University's sustainability initiatives.
The University has partnered with Xerox to perform needs assessments and create guidelines to assist your department in lowering printing costs, increasing service response time and continually improving the quality of our printing programs.
Move, Add, Change or Dispose (MACD)
To request a move, add, change or removal (MACD) of a Xerox device from your location, please fill out the Xerox MACD form. Once your MACD form has been submitted, a representative from SLU Business Services and the Xerox team will review the request for approval. Once this determination has been made, either Business Services or Xerox will contact you regarding your request.
The equipment should not be moved, removed or relocated by the end user or department. All moves, relocations and removals must be coordinated through the MPS program to ensure accuracy of University records and limit potential liabilities resulting from damaged equipment. Departments are responsible for lost or misplaced equipment. The department account will be charged for the full payment of any lost equipment.
Blue Prints FAQ
Blue Prints is a SLU-wide Managed Print Services (MPS) initiative to centralize the management of all printers, copiers, scanners and fax machines with one exclusive vendor that specializes in document management. Benefits of the project include:
- Providing newer and more efficient technology
- Helping make a positive impact on the environment by reducing paper and energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and landfill waste
- Reducing print output cost
- Improving quality of customer service, response time and repairs.
- Proactive service and support
- Standardization of equipment and supplies
There are multiple ways to conserve in your area:
- Share documents among your peers instead of printing multiple copies.
- Re-examine office processes; can you use electronic document storage instead of printing hard copies? Use e-mail and scan to file options. When you need to print, use paper efficiently.
- Use e-mail and scan-to-file options.
- Print duplex (double sided) where ever possible. Use paper as efficiently as possible.
- Use the University's Fuze Meeting web conferencing tool when possible for meetings/conferences.
SLU and Xerox will work with the stakeholders to understand each department's printing processes and needs. If specialized equipment is required beyond the normal Xerox fleet of devices, we will work with your department on an individual basis to develop a solution that incorporates these needs as aligned with the overall mission of the Blue Prints MPS program.
Toner fraud is typically conducted by telemarketers who misrepresent themselves as copier/toner sales staff or authorized representatives. They may have information about your copier equipment and use this to:
- Invoice you for goods not ordered;
- Ship non-Xerox toner to your location and invoice you for it;
- Encourage you to accept a "free gift" as a ploy to ship you unordered merchandise and associated invoices
What you need to know:
- Your department should never receive a separate bill for toner associated with Xerox devices. The price per impression (PPI) rates negotiated by SLU Business Services includes consumables, parts (e.g., toner, fusers, rollers, etc.) and repair; the cost of paper is excluded.
- SLU Business and Finance will internally bill the fund number(s) provided during your implementation for prints/copies made by your department.
- Departments should not receive separate invoices from Xerox, unless previously approved for special device requests coordinated through the SLU Business Services team.
- Please contact the SLU Business Services department immediately if you suspect a toner fraud situation. Never pay invoices that seem suspicious without first bringing them to the attention of the Business Services team.
Under the Blue Prints MPS program, recycling is a simple process that can be followed in just a few steps:
- Go to the Xerox Recycling website and follow the instructions provided to order free Eco Box kits or return shipping labels. The Eco Boxes are sizable with dimensions of 23" x 23" x 18". If you would like to use your own box(es), you can order the shipping labels on the same link.
- Fill the box with used Xerox consumables (e.g., toner cartridges, drums, fusers, waste bottle containers, etc.). Remember to use the plastic bag, that's included, to line your box. If you decide to use your own box, please place cartridges in individual grocery bags before placing in your box (yet another way to be green).
- Seal and return your filled box. A pick up can be scheduled by calling 1-800-PICK-UPS (742-5877) or online at www.ups.com. Indicate to UPS that this is a " Pre-paid return shipment."
Thank you for your part in recycling responsibly.
Key Device Contacts (KDCs) are the department's point-of-contact for management of Xerox print devices in their area (e.g., consumables orders, support coordination). KDC contact information (name, phone, and email) is provided to Xerox and is directly associated with devices in the department to which they are assigned. KDCs will receive a separate training as part of the Blue Prints MPS implementation for their department. Primary responsibilities for a KDC include:
- Management of device consumables (e.g., toner orders, replacement, recycling of used toner)
- Support liaison between Xerox and the department, KDCs are copied on incident tickets submitted for the devices they support
- Provide troubleshooting assistance to Xerox Support Team (as needed)
- Routine Maintenance: Cleaning glass surfaces, installing consumables, assistance clearing paper jams, basic troubleshooting
- Contact the Xerox Help Desk (855-305-5111).
- Please be prepared to provide the device model, serial #, location, and name, phone, and email of the new KDC.
- Select a color model from your list of printers.
- Select the Properties button.
- Select the "Paper Output" Tab.
- Move to the "Output Color" dropdown menu.
- Select the Color option.
- Select a Xerox printer from your list of printers.
- Select the Properties button.
- Click on the Job Type dropdown menu.
- Select Secure Print.
- Create a Passcode that you can remember (4-10 digits).
- Your job will be held in the queue at the MFD until you release it, using the pin code you have selected.
- At the Printer:
- Touch Secure Print tab
- Select your job in Jobs Queue
- Select Release
- Enter the Secure Print pass code and select Enter
- Place originals face up in the document feeder or face down on the glass.
- Select the E-mail icon on the MFD control panel
- You will see your email address populated in the "To" and "From" fields
- Select any options such as double sided
- Press the green button to Start the job
- Press Log In/Out Button to log out
- Toner is monitored remotely and automatically shipped to the site when it reaches a specified level.
- If for some reason you have not received a toner shipment or want to make sure toner has been ordered, please call the help desk at 855-305-5111 for information.
- Place your document face-up in the document feeder or face-down on the glass.
- Press the copy icon on the MFD's touch screen.
- Change any of the defaults, as needed.
- Enter the number of copies to be made.
- Press the green start button.
- Paper is not included in the Xerox MPS program. Departments should continue to order paper supplies through their established vendors.
Other Consumables (e.g., toner, staples, fusers, etc.):
- After a device has completed the implementation process and Xerox's systems have begun
tracking the device, toner consumption levels are proactively monitored. Typically,
when toner levels reach a 20% availability threshold, the device sends an alert to
the Xerox Helpdesk and department KDC. Xerox then proactively mails replacement toner
to the KDC.
If for some reason, your machine issues a low toner alert and you have not received an email informing you of a toner shipment, you should contact the Xerox Help Desk (855-305-5111).
- If you would like to order extra supplies for your device, please contact the Xerox Help Desk (855-305-5111) to place an order.
- During the implementation process KDCs are provided with training that covers installation of consumables.
- KDCs may also contact the Xerox Help Desk for assistance (855-305-5111); the Xerox Help Desk can dispatch the onsite team if assistance is required.