Michael Lewis, Ph.D., is Saint Louis University's provost and the University's chief academic officer. He reports directly to the president and is responsible for the fulfillment of SLU's mission via the leadership and oversight of all academic, research, scholarship and enrollment management services.
About the Provost
Lewis is responsible for supporting major initiatives advancing SLU's University Strategic Plan. In collaboration with the University vice presidents and members of the executive staff, he is responsible for the development and implementation of all academic strategic plans, as well as the development and adherence to the academic affairs budget. The building, renovation, and allocation of all academic and research space is also under his purview.
Lewis joined SLU's Department of Chemistry in 2004. In his role as a faculty member, he received multiple teaching awards and authored numerous scholarly publications. His administrative career began in 2013 when he became Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs and Development. In that role, Lewis led University-level initiatives related to faculty development, faculty hiring, contracts, promotion and tenure policies, workload policies and other efforts aimed at serving SLU faculty members and departments. His success in that position led to subsequent appointments as Interim Provost (Fall 2018), Interim Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (2019-2020), and Interim Provost (Fall 2020). Lewis was appointed SLU's permanent Provost in February 2021.
Academic Strategic Planning
Academic Finances, Academic Affairs, and Faculty Workload
Academic Portfolio Review
- APRC Final Decisions (2/22/22)
Diversity in Faculty Hiring
- Provost's Message on Diversity in Faculty Hiring (September 17, 2020)
University Core Curriculum
- Provost's Letter on the Core (February 1, 2020)
Information on faculty compensation studies (accessible only by the SLU community -- must be logged in to MySLU to view).
Nearly all of the academic units at Saint Louis University report to the provost or members of the provost’s staff.
All academic deans (except the dean of the School of Medicine) report directly to the provost, as do the vice president for Research, the vice president for Enrollment and Retention Management, the director and dean of the Madrid campus, the dean of the University Libraries, and the associate and assistant provosts who comprise the provost’s senior staff.
Additional reporting units include:
- 1818 Advanced College Credit Program
- Academic Advising
- Academic Records Revision Committee
- Center for Global Citizenship
- Center for Workforce and Organizational Development
- Charter School Sponsorship
- Distance Education Committee
- Diversity and Innovative Community Engagement, Office of
- Honors Program
- Institutional Research, Office of
- INTO Saint Louis University
- Learning Management System (LMS) Steering Committee
- Learning Technologies Advisory Committee (LTAC)
- Pre-Professional Programs
- Public Safety (DPS), Department of
- Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning
- Student Development, Division of
- Summer At SLU
- University Undergraduate Core Committee (UUCC)
Provost Lewis charged a Student Well-being Task Force to assess SLU’s health and well-being ecosystem for students and to develop recommendations to inform a Student Well-being Strategic Roadmap for the University.
- Joint Office of the Provost-Faculty Senate Faculty Gender Equity Committee
A standing committee, the Gender Equity Committee (GEC) is responsible for advancing the shared governance of the University via its consultative role to the Faculty Senate and Provost on issues related to gender equity among faculty.
- Mid-Career Faculty Development Committee (on hiatus)